Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn photography with horses

Options
  • 26-11-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anybody know of a photographer who takes newborn photos and has horses that can be used in the shoot? I saea beautiful newborn photograph with a baby asleep on a saddle and horses behind him, it was done in Australia, I just wanted to see if there would be anything like that in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Get a photographer to approach a riding school/stables. They (stables) are on the financial ropes. Book an hour with a nice quiet animal. Be sure you are happy with the liability situation. Do NOT use flash. Horses are easily spooked. They hate flash, and for some reason, really hate umbrellas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there used to be a poster here who was a pro for a while, did a lot of horse photography and had his own horse, so would have ready access to horses. i know his real name (which i'm not going to mention here) but an kicking myself trying to remember his user name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Get a photographer to approach a riding school/stables. They (stables) are on the financial ropes.

Not sure what stables you know, but most are booming.

I've done shoots in stables. Never easy, due to so many things, including light, horses, etc.

Talk to Borderfox Not sure if he still does the horse stuff, but he had a horse or two, and knows plenty of stables.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi Paulw, Ones in more rural parts perhaps not back to full capacity. There is a lady at Navan with a riding school, who is also a professional photographer. PM sent to OP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

We keep ponies at home and have one that's extremely quite and rarely spooks but there is not way on earth I'd put a newborn baby on his back!! I've taken hundreds of photos of him and our other ponies with my kids and never had any issues but still wouldn't take a chance with a baby just in case.

Why not just use a saddle for a photo in a studio? Something like this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP did not mention the baby on the saddle on the horse, just the baby on a saddle with the horses in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's could be a composite

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd think for insurance reasons it would be a complete no no.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

the OP did not mention the baby on the saddle on the horse, just the baby on a saddle with the horses in the background.

I think you might have mis-understood my post.

Newborn & horses / ponies = no no in my book. As challengemaster mentioned above, a composite would be the best idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have seen some but the images are, as stated above, composites.

I would think the risks are just too much to have a newborn with a photographer horse so close. Chances are there would not be a problem but the risk is there.

When looking into this I realised that there are a lot of ugly babies out there :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

CabanSail wrote: »

When looking into this I realised that there are a lot of ugly babies out there :eek:

Say that at the wrong time and you will be at more risk that the baby :p

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I've never understood the obsession some people have with putting babies with animals in photos. All animals spook easily, whether that be the sound of the camera, a flash, or a baby crying out or poking at the animal. Putting them together is madness.

I've seen pics on Facebook and Twitter of babies asleep with dogs, and all the comments are like "Oh that's so cute", and "Look how dogs never hurt babies", etc. All it takes is for that baby to grab hold of some dog hair and pull for the dog to take a snap at them. Putting them together like that is stupidity beyond words.

While composites are safe, it gives the impression to others that putting animals and babies together is ok, when it really isn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've never understood the obsession some people have with putting babies with animals.

We've had our daughter around animals since she was born. I have some lovely photos of her stroking a falcon when she was about 8 months old. She has been around cats, dogs, and horses frequently. Never an issue. She is very gentle with them and vice versa. Not all animals spook easy. It will all depend on the child plus the animal and their nature.

There are some benefits having young children around animals too.

23498037942_7a22141290_n.jpg

22979448383_7659a48d9b_n.jpg

Advertisement