Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinus issues

Options
  • 26-11-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Over the last few months I've been having sinus trouble after doing around 2k in the pool.. Anyone else ever get this?

It usually lingers for a few days but recently I've found its getting a bit worse..

Nose plugs? Give up swimming altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

shansey wrote: »
    Over the last few months I've been having sinus trouble after doing around 2k in the pool.. Anyone else ever get this?

It usually lingers for a few days but recently I've found its getting a bit worse..

Nose plugs? Give up swimming altogether?

Have you been swimming in pools long or have you recently switched to a new pool? could be too much chlorine in the water maybe. The National Aquatic Centre in Blanchardstown have a chlorine free pool. I have sinus problems and I use an enzyme product called 'Serretia' that clears it up better than any pharmacy product.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

same pool for years now. Maybe they've started adding more chlorine. Must pop out to the NAC some day and see if it affects me the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

same pool for years now. Maybe they've started adding more chlorine. Must pop out to the NAC some day and see if it affects me the same.

It'd be a good experiment alright, I know it'd affect me if I swam in a chlorinated pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I used to get away with rinsing the sinuses (the Neilmed rinse) after swimming but my sinus problems got worse and worse so ended up using a nose clip. Could never find one that didnt slip at some stage of the swim though and any water at all in the sinuses was murder so eventually got a Trygon divers clip. Its kinda big but I dont care. Its absolutely bullet proof - does not budge AT ALL. Zero failure rate. Ive been sinus issue free since.

Thanks for that. I'd say its nose plug or bust.. its still bad and I last swam on Monday.

either that or give up swimming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thanks for that. I'd say its nose plug or bust.. its still bad and I last swam on Monday.

either that or give up swimming!

I was the same as yourself shansey, i am using a nose clip since last March and dont have a problem now when i use it, i forgot it about 2 weeks ago but just said i would swim away approx 2k well what do you know, sinus flaired up again after just that swim,
    They do take a few swims to get used to because you cant breath out through your nose, but it did solve my sinus problem

Ceepo wrote: »
    I was the same as yourself shansey, i am using a nose clip since last March and dont have a problem now when i use it, i forgot it about 2 weeks ago but just said i would swim away approx 2k well what do you know, sinus flaired up again after just that swim,
    They do take a few swims to get used to because you cant breath out through your nose, but it did solve my sinus problem

Great to hear they work. As soon as this bout calms down i'll pick one up.. It never used to be a problem.. just developed over the last few months.

I tried a few different types and the speedo competition nose clip seemed to work best for me.
    http://www.wiggle.com/speedo-competition-nose-clip/

Then either my nose got greasier or the clip lost some grip but it just wouldnt stay on so I switched to a Trygon diving clip - pricey but failure proof.
    http://www.trygons.com/equiqment/noseclip

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I was having the same problem, was on the verge of giving up swimming as the nose plugs didnt work.
    But my brother gave me a great tip he learned. Basically the sinus problem is caused by Chlorine being absorbed through your skin, not as an irritant in your nose like i thought. Chlorine grips to sweat on your skin. So what you do is give yourself a good scrub before you swim and same again after. Better again if you add Vit C to the shower Gel. I got it as food suppliment.

http://drdebmckay.com/vitamin-c-for-chlorine-removal/

Cant swear if the Vit C makes a huge difference but the showering pre and post has cured me. I was on anti-histamines for 3-5 days around a swim and also nasal sprays, douches, sudafed etc but since i started the showering and scrubbing i've barely taken anything. I think since starting this routine, about 2 months ago and swimming roughly 2 1hr sessions/week I have taken a total of 1 sudafed, that was after I swam two days in a row.

It hasn't calmed down yet from last time so thinking currently I might have something else going on. Definitely going to start with the nose clips and pre-shower from now on though.. Great advice guys, cheers! Happy Christmas too!!

• Advertisement

I always did the pre and post shower.

I have sinus problems anyway and had surgery for nasal polyps. Some people are just more sensitive.

Nose clip and pre-shower.. a definite help. Might need stronger clips though

Nose clip and pre-shower.. a definite help. Might need stronger clips though

Absolutely failure proof, not a drop gets through:

http://www.trygons.com/equiqment/noseclip

Advertisement