Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubstep / Trap scene in Irelande ?

Options
  • 26-11-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a Dubstep and / or Trap scene here in Irelande, and more specificaly in Dublin.
    Cause i see quite some DnB events, some psytrance and (a lot, honestly) techno / house events, but i havn't seen a single Dubstep event since 3 month that i am here. :p

So yeah, if anyone knows some upcomming events, or maybe some Facebook groups to follow to stay informed, that'd be great. :)

Thanks a lot.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mcbumhole

Nah I think the dubstep scene in dublin died a few years ago, along with dubstep! The only venue that brought over dubstep artists is the Twisted Pepper and thats gone. Joker played there in August though, probably the last dubstep thing that happened here.
    As for trap, dont think there has ever been a trap night here, RL Grime played the Workmans a few years ago, to about 50 pissed up students which is an outrage considering he is one of the biggest names on the trap/bass scene at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pahl

Awwwww, man. :(
    What a shame, i am really surprised about all this, not really for trap but i really though that dubstep was popular enought for some party to be organised. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Yo man.. pity I only saw this now. There is a new bi-monthly night, called subweight, that started on 27 November. The next one will be at the end of January.

Keep an eye on their facebook page for details on the next night https://www.facebook.com/subweightdublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pahl

Aww, yeah, that's too bad, and i won't be there for the next one either. :/
    But it's good to know, thank you.

Cant get into Facebook Carnie but that sounds great. Where is it on? What styles of music are played? I might look to get involved somehow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

There are a few Dubstep things, but most of the crowds who would have been at a Dubstep night seven or eight years ago have emigrated, and all the people who were too young to go to Dubstep nights back then are mad into Grime now, which tbh is the next best thing (if not even better).

That Subweight thing is deadly, there was another night called Blacklip doing the odd party here and there as well. Main problem seems to be a bit of a lack of a critical mass of DJs since SubRewind shut down.

Emmo still does his radio show on RTE Pulse every Sunday though, and he always gives a good roundup of whatever is on.

Hi Pahl, I've just recorded a mix you might be interested in, lots of trap, dubstep, grime, US bass etc.

https://www.mixcloud.com/gavin35/party-bass-mix-230716/

Party_Bass_23_07_16.jpg

Did another mix this evening, all grime, well threw in a classic dubstep track at the end.
    Its all pretty much new stuff, well new as in the past year but a couple of tracks on there that are only recently out.

https://www.mixcloud.com/gavin35/grime-mix-050816/

Grime_Mix_05_08_16.jpg

Let me know what you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

what is "trap" i cant keep up with these ridicalous genre names :confused:

Its basically hip hop to be honest.
    Its all between 140 - 160 BPM with half time beats. The drums are generally all programmed on an 808 so booming kicks and clicky snares with the hats flying along the top. The kicks get pitched up and down every so often for some variance. There's a dustep style drop in the tracks but usually drops on the offbeat.
    A lot of commercial trap has high pitched, annoying synths but there are some really cool artists out there like UZ, Baauer (of Haarlem Shake fame but ignore that song) and RL Grime.
    Here's a typical trap song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uhb83oo9_I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

jonnny68 wrote: »
    what is "trap" i cant keep up with these ridicalous genre names :confused:

There is a site called '4chan' which contains lots of information on this subject

:pac:

Advertisement