Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad UNPAID Fees (DCU)

Options
  • 25-11-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I'm just looking to see if anyone has experienced the same problem as me in DCU or any other university.

In a nutshell, I was offered a Masters degree in DCU in August and began the registration process but didn't complete it (or so I thought). I decided not to go through with the process as my circumstances changed and I couldn't afford the fees. I assumed that since I never paid the fees which was the final stage of registration, that I had not registered. I never went to the campus,paid any fees,or got a student card or attended any class or lectures.

One week ago (November 14th) I received a letter from DCU telling me I owed them 60% off the fees (4110euro) . I spent a week conversing with the fees office by email and they informed me that I was definitely liable for the fees since I assumed to have been registered for the course. They told me that if I did not pay before xmas, I would be liable for 100% of the fees and after that , the debt would be passed on to debt collection agency.

I am wondering if anybody else has found themselves in this situation? And how have the resolved it?

Unfortunately I just can't afford to pay this, and am really worried about a debt collection agency knocking on my door.

Any help anyone can offer would be fantastic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

It depends on whether you were officially registered. It's not clear from your post if you cancelled the registration process halfway through... or if you are simply assuming you are not registered because you decided not to pay.

When you say "or so I thought"... did you actually get a confirmation back from DCU to confirm your registration was completed?

If you did, then DCU can reasonably argue that you knew you were officially registered & therefore are liable. From DCU's perspective, they could have enrolled somebody else instead of you, so they are out of pocket as a result.

If you cancelled halfway & therefore did not receive a confirmation, then you can reasonably argue that you did not complete the application process, so no contract exists between you and DCU.

Hope you get it sorted - that's a big bill to get landed with.

Advertisement