Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan 4000 Euro Scrappage

Options
  • 25-11-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Nissan 4000 Euro Scrappage

Hi Folks,

is this deal a once off, has it been offered before

It ends this year, is it something that comes up from year to year

I am tempted by it, but would prefer to wait til 2016

Thanks

from Nissan website

The amazing €4,000 Nissan Scrappage offer is back until 31st December.

Time for a new car or van? Trade in your old car or van with Nissan now and you’ll get a guaranteed minimum of €4,000 towards a brand new Nissan Micra, Note, Juke, Pulsar, Leaf, Qashqai, X-Trail, Navara, Qashqai Van, X-Trail Van or NV400.

It’s the €4,000 Nissan Scrappage, available for a limited period onl

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's been around a while alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Been around on and off for a couple of years. Just bear in mind that, after the rip off delivery charge (€1000) and high PCP finance rates, it's effectively a 2 - 2.5k discount.

4 K scrappage + 1 K off the 30 Kwh battery !

+5 K grand and 5K vrt relief !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Been around on and off for a couple of years. Just bear in mind that, after the rip off delivery charge (€1000) and high PCP finance rates, it's effectively a 2 - 2.5k discount.

Interesting re the delivery charge, wonder is there any way to avoid it
    It would be great if I could pick the car from Nissan wherever they are stored in Ireland, I doubt it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Which dealer Madlad?

Im just about to ring Nissan myself and see what kind of deal I can get myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

tw0nk wrote: »
    Which dealer Madlad?

Every dealer. Those are Nissan offers. You can try to negotiate beyond that with the dealer.

Which dealer Madlad?

You'll have to ring around but I bought the Leaf from Paul Flynn in Barlo Nissan in Kilkenny. I didn't like the attitude of some other leaf salesmen and Kilkenny is closer to me than Dublin.

Paul is dead keen on selling the Leaf and even drove all the way to Carlow Town twice with the demo leaf to give me for 2 days each time.

You won't really get much in the way of a bargain with any leaf from any dealer because margins are still tight enough. The real haggling comes into play when you got something to trade.

You might get a proper set of Leaf mats and that's about it.

If you go the leasing route, try get as much Kms as you can, I've hit my 25 K limit this week and estimate I will have about 28,000 Kms which isn't a big deal, any half interested dealer will write off 5 - 10 k kms if they want your sale bad enough when it comes time to renew.

If I go over by 15,000 kms then at 8C/Km they will charge me 1,200 Euro's not a big deal really because in most cases there is more value left in the car at the end of the lease than the GFMV that they give you so you will usually have some sort of deposit for the next contract though this is not guaranteed and you need to keep the car in very good condition.

The real haggling will be when it's time to renew the lease in 3 years.

If you intend not to keep the car and hop into a brand new MK II Leaf in 3 years then leasing is the way to go unless you do mad mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

thanks madlad, any idea how much nissan dealers are looking for to trade up after 3 years in terms of deposit? I am a little worried of cost of change in 3 years time.

thanks madlad, any idea how much nissan dealers are looking for to trade up after 3 years in terms of deposit? I am a little worried of cost of change in 3 years time.

No idea and even if i knew what they were offering today it would probably not apply in 3 years.

See I went with PCP because the monthly payments suited me and it was about the limit of what I was prepared to pay when 98% of my mileage is commuting and half the repayments are paid by not paying for petrol and motor tax difference. A bank loan last January or CU loan would have cost mu about 350 PM more which is mad because I don't want to buy the car.

I didn't get into a PCP contract expecting to get more than the GFMV at the end, it will be nice if I do but since it's my first lease I am rather cautious myself. So at this time I am expecting to have to come up with some sort of deposit which suits me fine because I really don't want to keep the car beyond the 3 years anyway.

What you do with PCP is....

1 get all your quotes via e-mail so you have a record.

2 try get as much KM allowance as possible

3 add up the cost of the repayments over the 3 years + deposit + the GFMV and this will be the total cost of the car to buy.

4 compare it to traditional means of financing to see the difference.

5 before signing any contract make sure the monthly payments on paper + deposit + GFMV match exactly on the contract as quoted via the emails, make sure it adds up to the total cost of the car they quoted you via e-mail.

After all that you probably weren't thinking of PCP ? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

An interesting one re refund of road tax, and scappage
    Does this refund of road tax apply, when one trades in , is the car scrapped

Revenue ; Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.
    Applications for refunds of motor tax can be made to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120, in circumstances when,
    The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed* or sent permanently out of the state,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

k123456 wrote: »

Revenue ; Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.
    Applications for refunds of motor tax can be made to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120, in circumstances when,

No, it's "scrappage" as opposed to actual scrappage - the cars are just sold on to the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

It would be great if I could pick the car from Nissan wherever they are stored in Ireland, I doubt it :)
    Its delivery from factory in Sunderland,UK. Even if the car is in the showroom they recoop this cash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

My old 00 SAAB 9-5 went through auction at Merlin. Looks like that's where they send all the "scrappage" cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

samih wrote: »
    My old 00 SAAB 9-5 went through auction at Merlin. Looks like that's where they send all the "scrappage" cars.
    Yes When they even take trade in cars , they will give you action value, they have a data base of what they will fetch

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Another vote for Paul Flynn from Barlo Kilkenny. We got a generous discount, great price on our trade-in (1k better than elsewhere) and plenty of extras, like mats, wind deflector, trunk liner. Above all, Paul was very, very nice to deal with, and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Rafal wrote: »
    Another vote for Paul Flynn from Barlo Kilkenny. We got a generous discount, great price on our trade-in (1k better than elsewhere) and plenty of extras, like mats, wind deflector, trunk liner. Above all, Paul was very, very nice to deal with, and helpful.

Totally agree with you on your comment re Paul .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The scrappage deal is a bit of a con anyway, your basically financing it by the extra costs of the credit over 0% deals and the dealer is throwing in a bit of a discount into it , in reality your financing your own scrappage

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Limbo159

Hi guys.. just want to see what the more experienced think.

I have got an mitsubishi colt - 2006. Not in great condition.. Won't even start at the moment.

Went to Nissan, I have been offered €4,500 scrappage. Extra €500 because my dad bought his cars at this dealership.

So I am looking at €306 roughly a month.

What do ye think of this deal..
    I am happy as I wouldnt get a euro for my car elsewhere.

Limbo159 wrote: »
    Hi guys.. just want to see what the more experienced think.

I have got an mitsubishi colt - 2006. Not in great condition.. Won't even start at the moment.

Went to Nissan, I have been offered €4,500 scrappage. Extra €500 because my dad bought his cars at this dealership.

So I am looking at €306 roughly a month.

What do ye think of this deal..
    I am happy as I wouldnt get a euro for my car elsewhere.

To be honest if you're looking to save money you don't buy a new car but if you want a new car this is a different matter.

The Juke is a pretty tiny car you could find a lot bigger 2nd hand but again, if it suits you that's fine.

No matter what you by you can get a much better deal by by buying a 3-4 year old car, less depreciation and interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

If you have an older car I dont think Nissan are really interested in dealing with you.I have approached two Dealers one in Dublin who said he would give me 3,5 K against my 90s car and the other despite 3 calls hasn't got back to me.So in the real world Nissan dealers just want to sell cars and pretend to offer scrappage. In fairness its a great deal if I could get it.
    If anyone knows of a Dealer who might be interested please let me know,
    Thanks,
    Jerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

I have a few questions in-regards to the scrappage scheme & the Leaf in general, if anyone could chip in, I'd be grateful:

1 - Is it possible to 'scrap' a cheap old banger (have a E160 car that's taxed & NCT) alongside a trade-in, that's worth sub 4000?
    2 - I have a round commute of approx 160KM 5 days a week, (most of which the N & M7). I'm a 60MPH sorta driver, will the 30KW be enough for the entire round trip?
    3 What is my best finance option, as I cover in-or-around 30,000 KM a year, is PCP even feasible? I spend in the region of E4 - 500 per month on car expenses (i.e. diesel, tax, servicing ect.), so would like to keep monthly repayments in a similar range
    4 - I have recently reentered education - however DIT does not have a charge point close to the college grounds. As a public-funded body, is it easy to proposition a public charge point to be installed?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

Jony dols
    "1 - Is it possible to 'scrap' a cheap old banger (have a E160 car that's taxed & NCT) alongside a trade-in, that's worth sub 4000?"

I can only reply to this one,you can only claim scrappage on one car that has been taxed and insured in your name for the last six months.Your other car you will need to sell separately.
    Best of luck,
    Jerry

I would say you'd be pushing it to get 160 kms on one charge in the 30 kwh with 27 Kwh usable.

You probably could do 160 Kms in Summer at 20 Deg C no heat or AC, I would reckon 140 Kms and you'd need to be actually plugged in because the 160 kms would most likely be the limit and you need to be charging by this time.

Top up at any opportunity rather than run the battery to low battery or very low battery all the time if you can. No point running low if even a 5 min top up can get you where you want to go with about 20% to spare.

The 30 Kwh charges to 80% in the same time as the 24 Kwh and that 80% gives you maybe 40-50 Kms more range.

If you're around Naas at busy times I can tell you now it will get old fast, it's a bad spot and very hard to get in and out of and locals use it rather than use their home charge point.

You might make Kildare or Portlaoise if those destinations are on route ?

All Leaf dealers will recommend you test drive it on your route first, and if you do please let us know how you get on. In reality you might need only 5 to 10 mins on the way home as I said the 30 Kwh charges faster.

Nothing wrong with PCP at 30,000 Kms, I'm on PCP , allowance is 25,000 Kms and I'm at 28,000 now. It may or may not effect the value of the car when you trade it for a new one in 3 years. If you walk away they will charge you 8C per Km over the limit, whatever that is they give you.

I don't know if the scrappage still applies and yes it shouldn't matter what you scrap.

Regarding the charge point install, I've no idea what this would take.

With the 30 Kwh battery if you can afford the 6.6 Kw charger then go for it , charging twice as fast from a standard street charger is very convenient and you can install a 32 amp home charge point and charge at home twice as fast which is very convenient when you need to.

Back to my consumption, over 1 trip to and from work total Kms, 134.2 I used 24.7 Kwh. I do tend to drive pretty hard though so economy was 18.4 Kwh/100 kms for that trip. I got the work charge point now so I drive up 100-110 Kph and home 100-130 Kph.

Really you need to test drive the 30 Kwh over your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

I would say you'd be pushing it to get 160 kms on one charge in the 30 kwh with 27 Kwh usable.

You probably could do 160 Kms in Summer at 20 Deg C no heat or AC, I would reckon 140 Kms and you'd need to be actually plugged in because the 160 kms would most likely be the limit and you need to be charging by this time.

Top up at any opportunity rather than run the battery to low battery or very low battery all the time if you can. No point running low if even a 5 min top up can get you where you want to go with about 20% to spare.

The 30 Kwh charges to 80% in the same time as the 24 Kwh and that 80% gives you maybe 40-50 Kms more range.

If you're around Naas at busy times I can tell you now it will get old fast, it's a bad spot and very hard to get in and out of and locals use it rather than use their home charge point.

You might make Kildare or Portlaoise if those destinations are on route ?

All Leaf dealers will recommend you test drive it on your route first, and if you do please let us know how you get on. In reality you might need only 5 to 10 mins on the way home as I said the 30 Kwh charges faster.

Nothing wrong with PCP at 30,000 Kms, I'm on PCP , allowance is 25,000 Kms and I'm at 28,000 now. It may or may not effect the value of the car when you trade it for a new one in 3 years. If you walk away they will charge you 8C per Km over the limit, whatever that is they give you.

I don't know if the scrappage still applies and yes it shouldn't matter what you scrap.

Regarding the charge point install, I've no idea what this would take.

With the 30 Kwh battery if you can afford the 6.6 Kw charger then go for it , charging twice as fast from a standard street charger is very convenient and you can install a 32 amp home charge point and charge at home twice as fast which is very convenient when you need to.

Back to my consumption, over 1 trip to and from work total Kms, 134.2 I used 24.7 Kwh. I do tend to drive pretty hard though so economy was 18.4 Kwh/100 kms for that trip. I got the work charge point now so I drive up 100-110 Kph and home 100-130 Kph.

Really you need to test drive the 30 Kwh over your commute.

Thanks for the great info, Mad_Lad.

How economical is the cold pack relative to the having heat on? Or is that loss of 20km just something I'll have to live with during the colder months?

I may invest in a granny cable if I do opt for a Leaf, have a underground parking spot leased so may be able to plug into the buildings mains. The other option is the Plug-In points along the motorway. Living midway between Port & Monasterevin, so fortunately I'm well-served with charge stations; points at the local train station (that are never occupied) & a fast charge at Junction 14, 10 min away. How available are the stations, generally, around the Citywest/Red Cow area, if I need 10 or 15 min en route home?

I have a 48 hour test drive booked with Paul from Barlo, when their new 30KWH show model arrives in sometime next week. Paul was saying that it's top spec, so can't wait TBH! I'll let you know how she goes & if it lasts the distance on full charge...

Didn't get a chance to discuss money, so still unsure about the whole PCP finance. The online calculator doesn't facilitate the inclusion of scrappage in the deposit...but guess I'll find out next week, when I collect for test drive.

(Just a heads up the Nissan scrappage offer has been extended through to this year)
    jerryg wrote: »
    Jony dols
    "1 - Is it possible to 'scrap' a cheap old banger (have a E160 car that's taxed & NCT) alongside a trade-in, that's worth sub 4000?"

I can only reply to this one,you can only claim scrappage on one car that has been taxed and insured in your name for the last six months.Your other car you will need to sell separately.
    Best of luck,
    Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
    Didn't realize that the 'banger' had to be insured in my name, to be eligible...I guess that's going to lower my initial deposit if I have to trade in my Puegoet for scrap instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Jony,

The cold pack delivers heat at about 1/4 of the energy expense of using a traditional heater. It also has other benefits, like heated steering wheel, mirrors, front and *rear* seats which people I chatted with find very comfortable.

If you are looking for options of faster charge-ups using non-Rapids, like ESB street-level Type 2 sockets, I'd suggest you seriously consider the 6.6 kW charger options, as it will double the speed of otherwise "slow" chargers, assuming you have access to 7.2+ kW ones.

Paul is very helpful, do take time to discuss what you need with him. He may not feel the 6.6 kW option is as important. I had to convince him otherwise. :)

Enjoy, and I might see you there next week, as my new Leaf is coming to Paul in the same load as the demo you will be driving, I was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

It would be great if I could pick the car from Nissan wherever they are stored in Ireland

The charge is for delivery from the factory.

jony_dols wrote: »

How economical is the cold pack relative to the having heat on? Or is that loss of 20km just something I'll have to live with during the colder months?

The cold pack is great and will save energy because you won't need the heat up as much but you will still need heat and in all honesty the heat pump is very efficient once the temps stay above 5 Deg C , below this there is little heat to extract from the air outside and it becomes less efficient. But from about 5 Deg C above the heat pump will not consume a noticeable amount of energy to make much of a difference to range. In winter the Air is usually colder and more dense meaning it takes more energy to move through it, add to that wind and wet roads, these consume far more energy than the heater, a lot of people get too hung up on heater consumption which in reality is a tiny proportion of the load on the leaf, while it makes a difference it doesn't make a noticeable difference. Other things like lights and wipers also don't matter in the slightest. I drive with the LED headlights on all the time because the day time running lights look terrible ! Pre heating off the mains though does make a difference. Slightly but it does matter.

What is noticeable is pre heating, always pre heat from the mains if you can because while the car is warming up it consumes a lot of energy until it's warmed up the interior.

And another piece of advice, if you have no pre heating from the mains for your return trip then don't preheat the car from the app or timer because it consumes a lot more energy and the reason is because the heat pump is not active until the car is turned on so preheating uses the resistive only part of the heater. Only turn on the heat after getting into the car, it warms up amazingly fast anyway after 2 mins should be blowing reasonably warm air and after 3-4 mins should be hot air.
    I may invest in a granny cable if I do opt for a Leaf, have a underground parking spot leased so may be able to plug into the buildings mains. The other option is the Plug-In points along the motorway. Living midway between Port & Monasterevin, so fortunately I'm well-served with charge stations; points at the local train station (that are never occupied) & a fast charge at Junction 14, 10 min away. How available are the stations, generally, around the Citywest/Red Cow area, if I need 10 or 15 min en route home?

Invest in the 200-300 Euro granny cable not the 800 Euro's Nissan cable, the 6.6 Kw charger is vastly more useful than any granny cable, you can always get the granny cable later on, if you get the 3.3 Kw charger you're stuck with it as long as you have the car. Guaranteed the 6.6 kw charger will be the best thing you will buy with the 30 kwh more than even the cold pack. I would not part with the 6.6 Kw charger in the 24 Kwh leaf and it may mean you can charge enough form the standard street charge points so you won't then need to look for fast chargers, or if you do will mean a lot less time needed at a fast charge point.

You will have a very hard time charging the 30 kwh battery from the granny cable this is why I say the 6.6 Kw charger is a lot more useful than a 1.8 Kw supply from the granny cable and probably only 1.5 Kw of that going to the battery. It would take about 18 hrs to charge from empty but you won't or shouldn't charge from this low charge so maybe 15-17 hrs. compared to 9 hrs with the 3.3 Kw charger and 4.5 hrs with the 6.6 kw. All from 0%.
    I have a 48 hour test drive booked with Paul from Barlo, when their new 30KWH show model arrives in sometime next week. Paul was saying that it's top spec, so can't wait TBH! I'll let you know how she goes & if it lasts the distance on full charge...

Paul told me I could have the 30 kwh for a few days, can't wait. I've not buying one though because after a year into my contract it's not worth putting 6-7 K into a new car with 40-50 Kms more range when I have the work charge point. However a 40-60 Kwh leaf is a completely different ball game and I would rather wait until then to put more money into.
    Didn't get a chance to discuss money, so still unsure about the whole PCP finance. The online calculator doesn't facilitate the inclusion of scrappage in the deposit...but guess I'll find out next week, when I collect for test drive.

Whatever quotes you get , get them in E-mail or SMS for to have a backup including any scrappage offers and make sure before you sign the contract everything adds up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Quick question which i know any nissan dealer could answer but i really don't want to call them just yet.

Can you qualify for 4000 euro scrappage if you aren't going for PCP?

TBi wrote: »
    Quick question which i know any nissan dealer could answer but i really don't want to call them just yet.

I don't know for certain, I don't see why not, they don't care how you finance the car, they're still getting their money.

Sorry I can't a more accurate answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

TBi wrote: »

Yes I purchased a new Leaf and availed of scrappage and did not PCP

Advertisement