Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choice Of Phone

Options
  • 25-11-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,
    Had a galaxy s5 since april this year until it was stolen in september. im truly heartbroken about it but have tried everything to get it back, i want to purchase a new device and im taking it as an oppurtunity to get an upgrade in a way. im on prepay with three since 2009 but their prices are too high so ive been looking on argos.ie, amazon.de (german amazon thats really cheap), littlewoods.com and the likes.
    i really want a good camera, i need a good battery life and a fairly loud speaker.
    ive been looking at a few devices and i was so convinved on the s6 until i saw the battery life/capacity, its ridiculous.
    so heres the ones i looked at

GALAXY S6

GALAXY NOTE 4

GALAXY S5 NEO

HTC ONE M8S

MOTO X STYLE

i like everything about the s6 except the battery life

the note 4 seems like a great phone thats a bigger s5 really but id prefer the newer version of touchwiz

i like the s5 neo because its identical to my old s5 except it has the updated software and the good battery life i had

i quite like the deisgn of the one m8s but the camera and the battery dont seem as good as the rest of them.

the moto x style in terms of everything is almost a no brainer, its fast, has a good battery but i dont think the camera app will do what i like. it seems okay but theres a cheaper moto x play that has a bigger battery but plasticy design.

i need the phone to be under €530 and i really hope you can help me choose it... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭droidman123

hutchy2014 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Had a galaxy s5 since april this year until it was stolen in september. im truly heartbroken about it but have tried everything to get it back, i want to purchase a new device and im taking it as an oppurtunity to get an upgrade in a way. im on prepay with three since 2009 but their prices are too high so ive been looking on argos.ie, amazon.de (german amazon thats really cheap), littlewoods.com and the likes.
    i really want a good camera, i need a good battery life and a fairly loud speaker.
    ive been looking at a few devices and i was so convinved on the s6 until i saw the battery life/capacity, its ridiculous.
    so heres the ones i looked at

GALAXY S6

GALAXY NOTE 4

GALAXY S5 NEO

HTC ONE M8S

MOTO X STYLE

i like everything about the s6 except the battery life

the note 4 seems like a great phone thats a bigger s5 really but id prefer the newer version of touchwiz

i like the s5 neo because its identical to my old s5 except it has the updated software and the good battery life i had

i quite like the deisgn of the one m8s but the camera and the battery dont seem as good as the rest of them.

the moto x style in terms of everything is almost a no brainer, its fast, has a good battery but i dont think the camera app will do what i like. it seems okay but theres a cheaper moto x play that has a bigger battery but plasticy design.

i need the phone to be under €530 and i really hope you can help me choose it... :(
    I have had quite a number of smart phones over the years,including galaxy,Asus,htc....but my current one is by far the best I ever had,the oppo r7 plus.super screen,runs colour os over lollipop.the battery life is insane(4100 mah) the camera(video and photo is amazing and even great low light pics.I bought mine about 2 months ago,it was €420 incl free delivary from the oppo site.worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hutchy2014

I have had quite a number of smart phones over the years,including galaxy,Asus,htc....but my current one is by far the best I ever had,the oppo r7 plus.super screen,runs colour os over lollipop.the battery life is insane(4100 mah) the camera(video and photo is amazing and even great low light pics.I bought mine about 2 months ago,it was €420 incl free delivary from the oppo site.worth a look.
    They seem like OK devices but I'd prefer something that I'd be able to get cases for it and maybe a more recognized brand. The specs are great but might be a little too big for me, the size factor is much larger compared to the note 4 and I'm not really a fan of color os. If you were to pick one of the devices I had down on my post which one would you choose regardless of the price

They seem like OK devices but I'd prefer something that I'd be able to get cases for it and maybe a more recognized brand. The specs are great but might be a little too big for me, the size factor is much larger compared to the note 4 and I'm not really a fan of color os. If you were to pick one of the devices I had down on my post which one would you choose regardless of the price
    Oppo is a huge company,probably better known for high end bluray players.i never owned any of the above particular phones so maybe theres people that had /have them could give better advice. Good luck with your search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

S6 with just root and app ops (stop stuff like play services keeping phone awake) battery life will improve tremendously, even without root and the new optimising apps bit they have in latest update improves battery life.
    Marshmallow update coming will include similar to appops and doze.

Maybe look at Oneplus X - again root+app ops improves battery life no end and its 269+postage and has savage specs - I get over a day with about ~5hrs screentime

Edited: Maybe not the Oneplus X as camera isn't fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I think the moto x style meets all your requirements.

I can get 1.5 days battery. The camera is the best I have seen on any smartphone. Not sure what you need the app to do but if you need a lot from it, a decent DSLR would be a good bet.

The sound is also amazing. Much better and louder than my lenovo thinkpad laptop!!

I've had it a couple of months and am really happy with it.

keith16 wrote: »
    I think the moto x style meets all your requirements.

I can get 1.5 days battery. The camera is the best I have seen on any smartphone. Not sure what you need the app to do but if you need a lot from it, a decent DSLR would be a good bet.

The sound is also amazing. Much better and louder than my lenovo thinkpad laptop!!

I've had it a couple of months and am really happy with it.

Hey Keith
    Just wondering where you got moto x style and how much you paid for it?

Oppo is a huge company,probably better known for high end bluray players.i never owned any of the above particular phones so maybe theres people that had /have them could give better advice. Good luck with your search
    Thanks for your help

Patww79 wrote: »
    The S6 out of those, even with the crappy battery life.

Have you looked at the Xperia Z5? I'd imagine there's not too much price difference from the S6. The LG G4 is well worth a look too, though if you want widely available accessories then it's not for you.
    The Z5 is nice but the price is crazy at the moment

Hey Keith
    Just wondering where you got moto x style and how much you paid for it?

Probably no help to you at all since I live in Switzerland.

But for what it's worth, I got it on a local online store and paid 500 CHF / €460 for the 32GB model.

Just to note a few other things I like about it:

Mine came with a turbo charger and charges to 100% in about 25 mins.

I also like how it does notifications without waking the phone and you just need to glance at the screen and the notification comes up.

You can also expand the memory with an SD card.

On the downside, there is no wireless charging or fingerprint reader.

• Advertisement

But for what it's worth, I got it on a local online store and paid 500 CHF / €460 for the 32GB model.

I also like how it does notifications without waking the phone and you just need to glance at the screen and the notification comes up.

You can also expand the memory with an SD card.

On the downside, there is no wireless charging or fingerprint reader.

It sounds like a really nice phone but what does the camera offer? Maybe you could email me some shots you've taken on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

I use eglobalcentral.eu to buy phones. Just got a note 4 sim free for €465 delivered.. Have bought a few phones over the passed few months, no import duty and delivered within 7 days.. You can't go wrong! I would increase my budget to €580 If I could and buy the s6 edge 32GB..

Good luck dude

Just so you know op,theres a black friday 10% discount on the oppo r7 plus for tomorrow only.
    Enter code BFSUBSCRIBED at checkout,or for anyone who wishes to buy it.

This is not the raw image - synced with google photos, then I uploaded it imgur....will see if I can get a full raw image up later...

U5z9XuT.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

How is the IPS screen on this. Any blacklight bleeding ? And any issue with the speaker grilles getting jammed up with lint, dust etc... They are about the only 2 negatives I have read on this phone. Seems like a great phone for the price though.

Flaccus wrote: »
    How is the IPS screen on this. Any blacklight bleeding ? And any issue with the speaker grilles getting jammed up with lint, dust etc... They are about the only 2 negatives I have read on this phone. Seems like a great phone for the price though.

Have only had it a couple of months. I have a leather sleeve for it so hopefully that's doing the job keeping the speaker clear. No issues so far.

I have to say, IMO, the screen looks superb. HD content is great on it.

Nail on the head, superb phone for the price.

What about the LG G4.. Superb phone for around €400 and the camera is gorgeous

simdan wrote: »
    What about the LG G4.. Superb phone for around €400 and the camera is gorgeous
    I'm not really a fan of lg phones although the last one I had was the Lg cookie like 6 years ago... I don't like their interface and I hate the leather back, I be used Samsung for all of my smart phones but I'm considering jumping to moto because this moto x style is really competing with these phones with such a low price, thanks for a reply though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Just so you know op,theres a black friday 10% discount on the oppo r7 plus for tomorrow only.

Jumped on this, will report back when it arrives!

Cossax wrote: »
    Jumped on this, will report back when it arrives!

Guarantee you won't be sorry,amazing phone! Just be aware,it takes a nano sim card not a micro.

• Advertisement

Guarantee you won't be sorry,amazing phone! Just be aware,it takes a nano sim card not a micro.

My current phone (Z3) takes nano so that's grand.
    Not sure if I'll replace it off the bat or if it'll become a glorified tablet but for the price it was (€305.10 all in), I think it was worth a punt to play around with.

Not sure if I'll replace it off the bat or if it'll become a glorified tablet but for the price it was (€305.10 all in), I think it was worth a punt to play around with.

Yeah it's a great discount,I paid €429 I think,a few months ago. Let us know how you get in when it arrives,although I think there are delays in deliveries due to the high volume of orders according to the email I got today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Which site?

hutchy2014 wrote:
    I'm not really a fan of lg phones although the last one I had was the Lg cookie like 6 years ago... I don't like their interface and I hate the leather back, I be used Samsung for all of my smart phones but I'm considering jumping to moto because this moto x style is really competing with these phones with such a low price, thanks for a reply though

No worries! Good luck :)

irishchris wrote: »
    Which site?

The official Oppo site, it's oppostyle or something similar, good for 34 yoyos off the R7 Plus.

Mine shipped from London this morning, hoping to have it Monday. Nearly cancelled this morning as it was a bit of an impulse buy/early birthday present for myself but screw it, let's play!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DiarmAFC

Hi I'm interested in buying the r7 or the r7 plus, is there much of a difference?
    Also the discount code for either is coming up as not valid. Furthermore, is there any problem using these phones in Ireland such as carrier internet settings? Also will it be able to use 4g in Ireland? Thanks

I've slimmed the options down to the Note 4 and the Moto X Style/Pure

Im interested in buying from Amazon in France because the price is about 90 euros cheaper than the UK site has anyone bought phones from abroad, what are the guarantees? Don't want a voided warranty phone or a phone that I can't send for repair if something went wrong. Would I be better to buy it from the UK site. Would I be better to just buy it from a local retailer. If I get the moto x style I'll just use moto maker UK but where's the cheapest place to buy a note 4 in Ireland that's trusted and is brand new device? My carrier is charging 680 for it so that's too much . kinda need something around 500 max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Just wondering what you thought of the z3. Would you recommend it to other people to buy it?

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Not sure about Amazon.fr, but I bought a faulty phone from Amazon Italy this year and they just pushed me to the manufacturer about it. I don't know if the UK site would be any better though.
    In what way was it faulty? Did it take long to resolve the problem and did you buy the phone from the official amazon seller or a private seller?

Advertisement