Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland

Options
  • 25-11-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, am new to this and so apologise if this is in the wrong place. Myself and my wife have both accepted jobs in Ireland and will be moving to Ireland at the end of January 2016. I am weighing up the options of using a moving company against transporting our stuff ourselves but am coming up short on finding companies in the UK that do a one way van rental. We only live in a 2 bed apartment in London and so wil only need something along the lines of a Luton van for approx 4-5 days. Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that they know of or heard of. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Brenson76 wrote: »
    Hi, am new to this and so apologise if this is in the wrong place. Myself and my wife have both accepted jobs in Ireland and will be moving to Ireland at the end of January 2016. I am weighing up the options of using a moving company against transporting our stuff ourselves but am coming up short on finding companies in the UK that do a one way van rental. We only live in a 2 bed apartment in London and so wil only need something along the lines of a Luton van for approx 4-5 days. Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that they know of or heard of. Thanks

We moved from the UK to Dublin in the summer of 2014. At the time I investigated the option of hiring a van and doing the removal ourselves. I could not find any hire companies that would allow international one-way rentals, however Enterprise would have allowed a one-way hire with return of the van at one of their depots in Northern Ireland. I would strongly advice you check and double-check the terms and conditions to make sure the return to NI would be OK and that you are covered for taking the van outside the UK and on a ferry journey.

It goes without saying but make sure you factor in all the costs involved (e.g. a ferry crossing with a van can be quite a bit pricier than with a car, one-way hire fee, overseas fee, fuel, etc) and put a price on your time and effort. In the end we decided that doing it ourselves wasn't worth it and used Mario Removals, a 'two man and a van' company from London that did a great job. It was a bit more expensive but a lot less hassle.

I would also recommend getting a few quotes via Shiply dot com. Enter your requirements and wait for the quotes to come in. Give it a bit of time and you'll see the quotes go down as people try to undercut each other.

Advertisement