Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooted/Custom ROM's and the KBC Banking App

Options
  • 25-11-2015 12:58pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been able to successfully hide the fact a phone is rooted or on a custom ROM to allow the KBC banking app to work? Currently the app won't work on anything but official software and also only on mainstream phones from what I can see. People complaining it won't work on Chinese phones etc. This is a real pain in the ass as it seriously restricts what phones/software you can use if you're a KBC customer. Is there any other banking apps that have this restriction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I've never had any problems with Ulster Bank or PTSB. Rooted and running CyanogenMod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

AIB runs fine on both a rooted redmi note 2 and a rooted tab running cyanogenmod. The only app I've encountered that's had an issue with the device being rooted is the channel 4 app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

BOI app runs fine on my rooted phone. As has been said only problem has been All4. which I got aroudn via Xposed & root Cloak, might be worth a shot in your phone/ROM.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I've tried root cloaking but no joy. The phone doesn't even have to be rooted. I rooted, installed a custom ROM and then unrooted the phone and it still gets tagged as being rooted by the KBC banking app. I really don't want to have to switch banks again but I also don't want to be so restricted on what phone I can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was unable to use Ulster Bank app on rooted 5.1 Jiayu s3. Can still access through their web so no big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm using Android revolution and haven't come across any apps that don't work on it. Banking wise, I've got BOI and PTSB, both grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

LFCFan wrote: »
    I've tried root cloaking but no joy. The phone doesn't even have to be rooted. I rooted, installed a custom ROM and then unrooted the phone and it still gets tagged as being rooted by the KBC banking app. I really don't want to have to switch banks again but I also don't want to be so restricted on what phone I can use.

Did you add kbc to the list of apps monitored by root cloak? You'll need to wipe the cache on the kbc app and it should work.

I did add it to the list and restarted but not sure if I cleared the app cache. Will try that, thanks

I did a brand new Custom install and used root cloak and cleared the KBC app cache this time but I still get the same message when I try to use the app. It's obviously clever enough to see past the cloak :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

I did a brand new Custom install and used root cloak and cleared the KBC app cache this time but I still get the same message when I try to use the app. It's obviously clever enough to see past the cloak :'(

I have been using the KBC app on my note 4 for last few months until I returned it this week. Would not work on rooted lollipop with rootcloak. On a rooted debloated 4.4.4 fw it worked perfect with rootcloak. Tried with a 5.1.1 fw later but still wouldn't work so had to stick with the 4.4.4 which worked great for months

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    I have been using the KBC app on my note 4 for last few months until I returned it this week. Would not work on rooted lollipop with rootcloak. On a rooted debloated 4.4.4 fw it worked perfect with rootcloak. Tried with a 5.1.1 fw later but still wouldn't work so had to stick with the 4.4.4 which worked great for months

Was the FW custom or stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Was the FW custom or stock?

Custom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Same boat won't work in rooted oneplus one. Tried root cloak but no joy...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

Thinking of rooting phone, any issues using Revolut app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Now working with rooted phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kleajmp

gar wrote: »
    Now working with rooted phone
    so can you tell us how you made it work?
    it used to work with me when I used a rooted "lineage", on the rooted "stock samsung rom" it does not.

Advertisement