Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academy Dublin strict on ID ?

Options
  • 25-11-2015 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've bought tickets to go to a concert in the Academy in April but the gig is 18+ and unfortunately I'm not 18 until June,my friend is 18 so she will have no problem getting in but I heard the Academy are very strict on ID , I can use my sisters Passport and license but although we look similar she's 24 ,will I have problems getting in even with a passport and a license ? I could alternatively borrow an age card that would make out I'm 19 but that would be my only form of ID . I use my sisters ID going out every weekend and have never had issues in any pubs or clubs in Cork .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been to loads of Academy gigs and the door staff are VERY hot when it comes to ID, i'd say you'll be very very lucky to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 2 A.x.x.K

scudzilla wrote: »
    Been to loads of Academy gigs and the door staff are VERY hot when it comes to ID, i'd say you'll be very very lucky to get in

Ah really ,even with a passport ,licence & age card I'd be lucky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A.x.x.K wrote: »
    Ah really ,even with a passport ,licence & age card I'd be lucky ?

yes, because they will not be yours!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

You should get in no bother, providing you don't start acting the maggot.

I don't get asked for ID at the Academy anymore, I got asked once, cracked a joke, bouncer laughed, never got asked since. Just don't stand there looking all awkward and quiet, talk to them, ask them things about the gig, be sociable, lads on the door appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

talk to them, ask them things about the gig, be sociable, lads on the door appreciate that.

This is horsesh!t ... you WILL be ID'ed in The Academy. probably the strictest door policy in Dublin.

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    This is horsesh!t ... you WILL be ID'ed in The Academy. probably the strictest door policy in Dublin.

If you have some actual reading comprehension you'll notice I never said she wouldn't be ID'd, I don't get ID'd because I'm a regular, try having some cop on before stupidly labeling something as horsesh!t just because you can't grasp reading comprehension.

Being friendly to bouncers is always helpful in getting into a place, you've a better chance in getting in if you actually interact with them whilst handing them the ID.

If you have some actual reading comprehension you'll notice I never said she wouldn't be ID'd, I don't get ID'd because I'm a regular, try having some cop on before stupidly labeling something as horsesh!t just because you can't grasp reading comprehension.

Being friendly to bouncers is always helpful in getting into a place, you've a better chance in getting in if you actually interact with them whilst handing them the ID.

Calm down ... no need to lose your cool (which you evidently use to woo and charm the bouncers of The Academy on a regular basis :rolleyes:).

You suggested to the op that they should have "no bother" - ignoring the fact that she's underage and is thinking of using a fake ID (reading comprehension problem maybe ?). You suggest that so long as you are friendly to the bouncers , they'll ignore one of the basic things they are employed to do (keep underage people out of a licensed venue). I call Horsesh!t. The Academy is well known as having one of the most strictly enforced door policies in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The Academy is pretty strict on id and they do check it thoroughly. You'll be very very lucky to get in with another person's id. I'm nearly 27 and still get asked for id there!

RayCon wrote: »
    Calm down ... no need to lose your cool (which you evidently use to woo and charm the bouncers of The Academy on a regular basis :rolleyes:).

You suggested to the op that they should have "no bother" - ignoring the fact that she's underage and is thinking of using a fake ID (reading comprehension problem maybe ?). You suggest that so long as you are friendly to the bouncers , they'll ignore one of the basic things they are employed to do (keep underage people out of a licensed venue). I call Horsesh!t. The Academy is well known as having one of the most strictly enforced door policies in Dublin.

There is no woo and charm about it, cop on and stop trying to act the prat. I never stated they'd ignore one of the basic things they're employed to do, OP stated she had an ID that looked remarkably similar to herself, if it's as similar as she says it is, then she should be grand if she acts accordingly. When you hand them the ID and stand there shy and awkwardly you're giving them more time to actually scrutinize it and reject you.

If she's confident, friendly and chatty towards them, providing the ID is as similar as she says, she should have no problem with it.

FYI - I got asked for ID once in the Academy, cracked a joke, bit of usual small talk, doormen let me in and never asked since, if you give them a positive reason to associate you to your ID 9 times out of 10 you'll be fine.

But if you want to sit there with your child-like intellect and call horsesh!t on something you quite clearly can't grasp, please be my guest. I posted in the thread to give OP advice, not to read crap about OMG DATS HORSH1T !!!!

The OPs traveling up from Cork .... long way to come to find out you're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

plenty of bouncers actually hate being chatted to, just get in and out of their way and stop holding up the line, especially when you're underage, as you're just drawing more attention to yourself than necessary.
    stopping to have the craic with them when you're underage using someone else's ID is the last thing I'd be doing.

Advertisement