Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiko stopped working (2yo)

Options
  • 24-11-2015 8:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. There doesn't seem to be a general thread so I hope it's ok. I bought a new Seiko Kinetic watch from Amazon just short of 2 years ago. It's just stopped working. It's regularly worn and hasn't been dropped or damaged so far as I can tell. I've contacted the seller and am awaiting a response. Oddly, if this were my phone or Kindle I'd just shrug but I'm quite fond of my watches hence the panicking. Anyone else experience this?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Somehow, the thing on the side was pulled out. I've pushed it back in and now it works again.

Jesus wept...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm saying nuthin AC… :D But yea, that would be the crown. In the olden days you'd wind and set the watch by it. Pushed in you'd wind, pulled out you'd set the time. If someone's experience is just with quartz and the like then it's actually an easy enough thing to happen. Because they're so accurate and never need winding the daily interaction just isn't there, so if a shirt cuff or whatever clicked the crown to the setting/stoping position it could easily throw you and have you think the watch was borked. I saw something similar with a good mate of mine, a man who would be well clued in. He had a pocket watch and was noting that it kept stopping and was likely on the blink. He being used to quartz or automatics simply wasn't winding this old PW enough. He was giving it like four or five twists of the crown. When I wound it up in front of him he was wearing the worried face of a man who had just watched another bloke being kicked in the nuts by a horse and he was next. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Frantic googling let to the suggestion that if I were to adjust the time then that might get it going again. Off I go to pull out the crown and... it's already out. I'm a bit worried that it might have been damaged if it got snagged but it seems to retract and protract ok.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Frantic googling let to the suggestion that if I were to adjust the time then that might get it going again. Off I go to pull out the crown and... it's already out. I'm a bit worried that it might have been damaged if it got snagged but it seems to retract and protract ok.

Ah there's a lot to be said for a screw in crown on a diver. Don't worry OP, could happen anyone.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm a bit worried that it might have been damaged if it got snagged but it seems to retract and protract ok.
    Nah, you'll likely be grand AC. For such a small and seemingly delicate bit of kit, wristwatches are remarkably robust. Seikos? They are near bulletproof. Seiko's beat up Rolex submariners in dark alleys for their pocket money. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nah, you'll likely be grand AC. For such a small and seemingly delicate bit of kit, wristwatches are remarkably robust. Seikos? They are near bulletproof. Seiko's beat up Rolex submariners in dark alleys for their pocket money. :D

I remember you said this before. I've an older Seiko automatic I need to send off to that chap you recommended. I was completely stumped that a new one could just decide to stop working being just under 2 years old.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement