Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its a crazy game

Options
  • 24-11-2015 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Have been playing golf for the last year and have been getting no better..the game was driving me crazy anyway today I played a dreadful 18 holes and nearly decided to give up...anyway I normally use hybrids rather than the lower irons as I was told they were easier to hit ...I never really used the 4 or 5 iron ..
    Anyways on the 18th hole I decided to try the lower irons and bang got a handy par..then I played holes 1 to 5 again and got 4 pars ..couldn't believe it ..
    So now I think it's time to bin the hybrids ...
    Has anyone come across this where they find irons easier to hit then hybrids as I was led to believe it was the other way around ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Have been playing golf for the last year and have been getting no better..the game was driving me crazy anyway today I played a dreadful 18 holes and nearly decided to give up...anyway I normally use hybrids rather than the lower irons as I was told they were easier to hit ...I never really used the 4 or 5 iron ..
    Anyways on the 18th hole I decided to try the lower irons and bang got a handy par..then I played holes 1 to 5 again and got 4 pars ..couldn't believe it ..
    So now I think it's time to bin the hybrids ...
    Has anyone come across this where they find irons easier to hit then hybrids as I was led to believe it was the other way around ..

It can happen - rare enough.

But I had this problem. I'm very steep - and it works well with irons.

Funny thing most advice on hybrids is to hit them like a low iron.

But with the extra length - there are complexities , with ball position and swing plane when using a hybrid.

So - I don't think they are for everyone, but the best approach is to go to a pro - and in 10 minutes they will give you a swing idea that works for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I think my problem is is switching from hybrid to to irons ...I think if I stay on irons for a while I can just perfect my swing without changing ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I think my problem is is switching from hybrid to to irons ...I think if I stay on irons for a while I can just perfect my swing without changing ..

No, your problem was in your head. At the end of a dreadful round you hit one good shot with a different club and it registered in your mind as the answer to your troubles. That transformed your mental state from one of desparation to one of positivity, which in itself can work wonders, regardless of what club you're using.

The moral of the story; get that positive mental attitude and you'll be hitting drivers off the deck. The problem is, no one has found out how to get it yet.

I know a lot of it is in your head alright ,but after ditching the hybrids and using the low irons I proceeded to play better than I have ever played ..I have researched it and indeed there is a lot of people who don't suit hybrids ..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I can only hit my 4 hybrid maybe 5 times out of 10 whereas my 4/5 iron, nearly every time.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm the same ..I can go out to the range hit the first 5 hybrids badly and then have a run of good shots..but as I'm discovering now I hit my irons well first off

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

FWVT wrote: »
    you'll be hitting drivers off the deck

Anyone else hate this saying?You get clowns in my club sitting at the bar after scoring 27 pts boasting that they took driver off the deck on 15.

Really grinds my gears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Guy I play with hits massively OTT and down on his drives. Aims waaaayyy left as a result. We're talking 70-80 yard slice. But can hit driver off the deck very well with same swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think its definitely a case of each to their own. For me, I love my Hybrids. Probably the clubs I feel most confident with in my hands.

I have irons as far as 5-iron that I can hit comfortably. My 4-iron I took out & replaced it with a 22 degree hybrid, and its probably the club that I can work easiest of any of my clubs. Hand me a 5-iron & say "Hit a draw", pretty much no chance of it happening, but do the same with the 4 hybrid, and I'll do it with considerably more ease.

The thing with Hybrids for me is, they give you a lot more shots in your bag. Yes, you might hit your iron more consistently from the middle of a fairway, but playing out from the rough, hitting a puch under the trees, etc... the hybrid I find is the easier club to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Anyone else hate this saying?You get clowns in my club sitting at the bar after scoring 27 pts boasting that they took driver off the deck on 15.

Really grinds my gears

I hit a 1iron off the deck. Does that count?

• Advertisement

I really beginning to think it's all in my head ..down at the range today I was hittingblovely shots with hybrids ..I know this sounds stupid but has anyone ever tried meditation or some sort off positive reinforcement before playing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I really beginning to think it's all in my head ..down at the range today I was hittingblovely shots with hybrids ..I know this sounds stupid but has anyone ever tried meditation or some sort off positive reinforcement before playing

Of sorts, not pre-round meditation, but little things that I've picked up from psychology books, lessons etc... that I do:

Always try walk the course with my shoulders back & head up. it was at a Karl Morris mind session that I went to that he said that you should be looking above the top of the flag. Its a more confident, strong posture to maintain rather than head down trudging towards the ball.

Before each shot (drive, iron, putt), when I address the ball, I take a deep breath & full exhale, it relaxes my body, loosens my shoulders, and clears any thoughts from my head. I've read something along the lines of, when you are walking to your ball, from about 20 yards away, just focus on your breathing, as it again, just clears your mind.

And try remember that the most important shot is the next shot, you can't do anything about what you've done before, so there is no point tying yourself in knots about it.

Yea sounds about right ..I find if I think of something when I swing I make a mess off the shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Yea sounds about right ..I find if I think of something when I swing I make a mess off the shot

See my latest post in the Practice Manual thread. If your focus is different when hitting at the range to hitting at the course this may account for large variance in performance

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WheresMyPar

Just go get a lesson and go hit the damn ball

Advertisement