Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 Audi A3 1.6 petrol vs 2008 VW Golf 1.9 TDI

Options
  • 24-11-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello :)

I'm looking for a new car and have been looking at the audi a3 1.6 petrol and a vw golf 1.9 tdi.
    Both cars have similar mileage, both being between 50,000 and 60,000. I'm driving a 1.9 diesel at the moment, but looking at reviews and different threads there's mixed opinions about the 1.6. Saying that it's underpowered for such a heavy car and you're paying more just to have those four rings on the badge. I have a VW at the moment and it's close to 300,000 km on it and it's still running fine but starting to get more problems along the way. Just wondering which one would be the better option? I'm close to where i work and wouldn't ever really be going long distance. Any help or opinions would be much appreciated. thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless the Golf has a fully documented and verified service history I'd find it hard to believe than a nearly 8 year TDi has only covered 50k or 60k miles.

The 1.9 TDi is infinitely better than the 1.6 petrol in every way that would matter but if you don't really have the need for a diesel then why limit yourself to a 1.6 petrol A3 as the only alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ea12345

That was my error in the original message that's 60,000 miles. The diesel I have now only causes problems all at once it needed a new timing belt and other things have started to go. This is my first car going out to buy on my own so I'm ultimately looking for something that's reliable and won't be overly expensive to run. I'm open to the option of looking at other cars with smaller engines theyre just two i came across and I was getting mixed opinions on other threads so just wanted to more opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

I have a 2005 A3 1.6 petrol but it's the older petrol engine than the one you're looking at. The newer engine performs better but I believe (from reading other posts on this forum) that it also can be prone to far more problems than the older straightforward 1.6 engine. If it's of use, I love my A3 and it has never given me the slightest headache. Bought it with 40k on it and have but 50k on it. Style-wise the A3 is timeless and still looks great IMHO. Returns a decent mpg too (when the boot isn't to the board on a motorway at 120km/h plus. Keeping it at 100 is the way forward with my engine anyway!). Most will say it's underpowered or slow, I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP needs to clarify so if it is the old 1.6 litre 8v engine or the 1.6 FSi engine that he/she is looking at in the A3. The FSi one has a 6 speed gearbox. Personally if you can stretch to 2008 then the 1.4 TSi engine is alot quicker and more fuel efficient than either of the 1.6 litre engines.

Other than that you could look at a 1.8 litre Honda Civic, 1.4 litre Toyota Corolla or 1.4 litre Hyundai i30 or Kia Ceed. They generally would be more reliable than a Golf or A3 but the interiors won't be as nicely finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ea12345

Sorry it's the old 1.6 litre the 5 speed. I'm also a she haha. Thank you it's good to hear it's not causing too much headache. Thanks for the other options I'll look into them all. As I said it's my first time buying a car so I was just looking to get as much information I could before I spent a few grand on it. Thank you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement