Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change advice

Options
  • 24-11-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I am a law graduate who has been seriously thinking about a career in psychology for well over a year now. I have done lots of reading have been through my own therapy with a psychologist. It was during this time, and through working in a divorce firm, that I got the idea, and we discussed it a lot during our work together.

I have two main questions and would really appreciate any feedback.

I am thinking of applying for a psychology conversion course in London which confers eligibility with the British Psychological Association. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether BPA accredited courses are also of the adequate PSI standard? Based on my research, I think they are, but just want to be sure. I'm thinking of doing a counselling psychology doctorate afterwards, possibly in Dublin. I am Irish and my previous degrees (undergrad and masters) were done in Ireland.

I don't want to completely leave behind my previous education, so I am hoping that if I want to, I could do some research on divorce/family breakdown, or on victims of crime etc., and could eventually do some work with these groups. I also have a personal interest in alcoholim and depression, and have started training with the Samaritans. It would just be nice to know that amongst all the new knowledge, I would have some kind of foundation. I really enjoyed the people-facing aspect of law practice, but the adversarial nature of it wasn't for me.

I guess I have the last minute jitters and am hoping for some reassurance that I have thought this out properly. Hopefully my background is of some relevance and my masters research would be thought valid, although from a different discipline. My worry is that I will be an undesirable candidate compared to someone who did their full psychology undergrad. I know it will be a long road but at least in my case, going forward as a solicitor/barrister would also have taken several more years too.

Would love to hear any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

As far as I know, BPS and PSI accreditation are mutually recognisable.

The conversion degree is recognised as equivalent to an undergraduate degree.

It is however very difficult to get into a Counselling Psychology or Clinical Psychology course. Many entrants have already got Masters and Doctorates in other areas of psychology, plus experience in the field - often having undertaken voluntary work or got a hard-won position as an assistant psychologist. Job opportunities might well be harder as a Couns Psych rather than Clin Psych. But you know all this already.

But you also have experience in law and family law.

It really depends how determined you are to do it. Good luck with it!

Advertisement