Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas mince pies

Options
  • 24-11-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

First Christmas as a vegetarian coming up.

Does anybody know a good substitute for the Christmas mince pie?

Every time I am walking around the supermarket I keep going to pick up a pack of them out of sheer habit.

I used to always enjoy a mince pie or two ;) with a cup of tea around this time of year so it would be nice not to have to change that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Loads of vegan mince pie recipes on YouTube!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

Yeah I seen them but I am useless at baking and I was hoping for something that I could pick up a box of in the shop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Aldi mini mince pies and Tesco value mince pies were vegan a few years ago, would be worth checking the packaging to see if it's still the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

OP must be a Lazy Bhoy not to want to bake a few mince pies :D Easiest things in the world to do - and by making your own mincemeat you can determine what goes into it as opposed to the Lidl varieties which have more E-numbers than anything else (the whole point of mincemeat is that it preserves itself with good old alcohol, not artificial preservatives!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Aldi mince pies are vegan and Foods of Athenry do lovely ones but they are 4.99 for a box of 4!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

iceland, aldi and health sottres all have vegan mince pies. Probably tesco and dunnes have some too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Are mince pies not vegetarian?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They are generally vegetarian and not vegan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Hrududu wrote: »
    Are mince pies not vegetarian?

Some add animal fats aka suet.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

The OP is looking for vegetarian mince pies. There are loads of them out there. A quick scan of the packaging will tell you if they are suitable or not. Spend a few seconds looking at the packets in the place you would normally have picked them up.

Vegan ones are a little harder to find but not impossible as mentioned on the posts above.

• Advertisement

OP must be a Lazy Bhoy not to want to bake a few mince pies :D Easiest things in the world to do - and by making your own mincemeat you can determine what goes into it as opposed to the Lidl varieties which have more E-numbers than anything else (the whole point of mincemeat is that it preserves itself with good old alcohol, not artificial preservatives!)

Thank you for your reply but as I mentioned in my earlier post, I just wanted to pick up a box in the shop.

Baking was never my thing and I don't have the time or the interest to learn at the moment. (Flat out at work these days) :(

I ended up picking up a couple of boxes in Dunnes at 2 for €3.00 :D

Saw these and thought of you OP!

They're from Lidl and unless I'm reading the ingredients list arse ways, I believe they are vegan!

Ingredients list:

fartyarse wrote: »
    Saw these and thought of you OP!

They're from Lidl and unless I'm reading the ingredients list arse ways, I believe they are vegan!

Great stuff, as luck would have it, I will have to pop into Lidl tomorrow evening on my way home so I can pick some up then. :D

Thanks fartyarse

Advertisement