Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 door car

Options
  • 23-11-2015 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Myself and my boyfriend are planning on starting a family in the next year.
    I also need to buy a new car as the old one has had its day.
    I have found a very nice and spacious car but it's a 2 door.
    Is this a complete no no if you have kids? I'm thinking in terms of getting a baby in and out of a car seat...
    I suppose it's not such a problem after the first year or so once they can climb in themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Roselm wrote: »
    I suppose it's not such a problem after the first year or so once they can climb in themselves?

:D:D If there climbing in and out of their seat at 1 your supermum!

Forget about a 2 door, have the baby instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

:D:D If there climbing in and out of their seat at 1 your supermum!

Forget about a 2 door, have the baby instead.

Haha fair enough. What can I say, I have high standards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Even at 3.5 you would still be climbing in after them to tie them into the harness on the car seat. Also with the new regulations on car seats by the time you have a baby the possibility that you would have to keep them rear facing longer. So all in all I really really wouldn't for your backs sake if you can avoid it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Baby seat + 2-door car. Doable, but it's a total pain. And it it will be for much, much more than a year. As cyning says, long after age 3. I'd say long after age 4. And far be it from me to ask about your future plans, but if you do have more than one child, unless they are very widely spaced indeed, this will be an issue for number 2 before it ceases to be an issue for number 1. And so on.

Thinking of having a baby? Your 2-door car days are behind you. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

With one child it would be manageable, you'd have to get in the opposite side and sit in the back seat while you strap them in. If you end up with 2 kids , it'll be very difficult and awkward.

Plus 2 door cars tend to be smaller in general. Car seats take up a lot of room, you or your OH may find it difficult to drive/be a passenger if the seats are pushed too far forward.

Just one last thought - it is perfectly safe to put a car seat in the front passenger seat as long as the airbag is turned off. Friends of ours did this. But they were also very short couple and the lack of leg room didn't bother them. They did upgrade to a bigger car though after a year. So since you are changing car now I'd get a bigger one !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I wouldn't go for two doors personally....also don't forget you will have a baby bag, travel system etc all to fit in the car too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I had a baby in november for a month with a 2 door car as our new 4 door car wasn't coming in till the January. That month was a pain in the a.hole. Never again! if you can't help it it's doable. If you can help it don't do it!

Ps. My now 3 yo still needs help onto his car seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

I've had to use our 2 door a handful of times with our 7 month old and dear God it's a pain in the arse! The door on our two door seems to be longer and you need to get the door open at a wider angle to get the seat out. So standard car spaces in supermarkets aren't wide enough so you have to make sure you get a parent and child space or park at the end of an aisle so the door can open freely! I've also nearly tripped getting out of the car with the seat too. I'd advise against it!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Guess I'll leave the 2 door then. Good to hear your experiences. The awkwardness would definitely annoy me so I'm glad I asked.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

my sister lent me her bmw coupe for a month while she was away on holiday. my son was 7-8mo back then. I didn't find it much more difficult to get him into the car seat but I'm strong as a ox :D if you have back issues it's big no no then. also it depends how often you need to get out. I was going to the shops etc max twice per week, so it was very manageable. nice car though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you haven't already bought the car then you should rule out 2 door cars. Lifting a child while you're twisting and bending down at the same time is a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

j@utis wrote: »
    my sister lent me her bmw coupe for a month while she was away on holiday. my son was 7-8mo back then. I didn't find it much more difficult to get him into the car seat but I'm strong as a ox :D if you have back issues it's big no no then. also it depends how often you need to get out. I was going to the shops etc max twice per week, so it was very manageable. nice car though...

My 2 door was a Bmw coupe. Lol. Lovely car but I found it an absolute pain. Not to mention I couldn't even fit the pram in the boot! I had to put the carrycot in the boot and the chassis on the back seat next to the baby! And then all that lugging and lifting out the only 2 front doors. Thank god it was only for a month. Loved the car but couldn't wait to see the back of it when the baby came along....

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

next time I'll have a two door car people will be saying ....'Look at the state of your man, that's a mid life crisis anyway'

I expect the kids to be in college and for those people to be right!!!

Advertisement