Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pebble Smartwatch (Black) - Currys - €69.99

Options
  • 23-11-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Seen this on HotUKDeals and just checked Currys/PCWorld in Ireland and the same offer applies. Currently £49 on Amazon but this seems a great price for a bricks and mortar store!

Link: http://www.currys.ie/Product/smartwatch-black/330367/403.0.0

Anyone who has a Pebble, what do you think of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

I got one as a Xmas pressie.

Mainly use it now for reminders, appointments, etc in work.

The endomondo app is good for exercise tracking, but apart from that and one or two other things it doesn't get too much use apart from telling the time!! :-)

It also has good battery life (about 5-7 days on average).

I'd definitely recommend it for the price.

Rather poor in my opinion. There's a second generation of Pebble watches now so this one is old hat. If I was going to get one of the first generation I'd get a Pebble Steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

pjjk90 wrote: »
    Anyone who has a Pebble, what do you think of them?

The Pebble is really all about notifications, and does it very well. The display is a bit too blocky for slick looking apps. It's a bit like a Kindle compared to a tablet - more limited but more focussed too.

I don't know if it's changed since I had one, but for some reason the number of apps (including watch faces) is limited to a set number, not by disk usage. The Steel looks better, but has the same internals as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thanks OP.. picked one up earlier on Amazon earlier but actually works out cheaper buying here.

For a Smartwatch, it has what the majority of Smartwatches don't and it's the clincher.. a solid battery.
    If I was going to get one of the first generation I'd get a Pebble Steel.
    Why would you get the Steel? Same size screen, same resolution, same battery etc. Just the steel strap which you could pick up for a tenner and throw it on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it looks way better, but that's subjective. The steel strap felt awful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Basq wrote: »
    Thanks OP.. picked one up earlier on Amazon earlier but actually works out cheaper buying here.

For a Smartwatch, it has what the majority of Smartwatches don't and it's the clincher.. a solid battery.

Why would you get the Steel? Same size screen, same resolution, same battery etc. Just the steel strap which you could pick up for a tenner and throw it on the original.

THe steel has more memory, it can store 8 apps or watch faces. I think the standard version can only store 4.

Also it has an LED which shows when it is charging. I dont know if you can access the led via a stored programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 wertyu12

The strap is very poor on the older version, they done a upgrade on the pebble steel much better as the old one cracked very easily. I had both the newer one is much the better.

Yeah the strap went on my Pebble too...and it's impossible to get a replacement (well it was at the time anyway). I can't remember exactly but I did a small bit of research after I got rid and the Pebble Steel got a much better review on engadget than the regular version.

The strap is a piece of piss to replace though.. just get a standard 22mm steel strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I love my first gen Pebble. Wouldn't say no to a new model but can't justify it (at the moment.....).

I have noticed a small tear in the strap so I've ordered a replacement now before I need it. Thanks for the reminder guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've one ordered to collect from Currys, thanks OP. Can't justify the money for an Apple Watch, especially as the Pebble is waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is this an e-ink screen as it seems to be in the pictures?

The strap is a piece of piss to replace though.. just get a standard 22mm steel strap.

Yes you're quite right. I forgot that I wanted a strap that was identical to the one that came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

The bezel is steel too though, it looks a lot better to be fair.

It's not e-ink. It's some kind of low-powered LCD. You don't get the "page-turn" effect you get with an e-ink screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

how do these affect battery life on an iphone? I never ever use bluetooth, but this would necessitate leaving it on all the time I suppose. Is it a drainer?

It's not e-ink. It's some kind of low-powered LCD. You don't get the "page-turn" effect you get with an e-ink screen.

Think it's called e-paper.

podge018 wrote: »
    how do these affect battery life on an iphone? I never ever use bluetooth, but this would necessitate leaving it on all the time I suppose. Is it a drainer?

This was my biggest worry too. It does have an effect but not as big as you'd expect. I'm putting it down to the following*:
    • It's not constantly streaming data like it would for audio
    • It uses Bluetooth 4/LE
    I've an Android phone but they should be the same in principle.

*without actually doing the research to confirm my suspicions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

podge018 wrote: »

I've had Bluetooth turned on for the first time in a long time, as I recently started using Tile. If there is no transmission of data the battery drain is unnoticeable. I would think for a smartwatch this would increase to 10% drain if only texts and calls etc. Would probably be more if it were an Apple Watch sending images and rich graphics. I have an iPhone 6+ and I would rarely be going to bed at night without 50% charge left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I've owned the original Pebble and currently have the Pebble Time.

Liked the original Pebble but not sure I'd buy one now. It's 3 years old at this stage. You could probably pick up a Moto watch for under €100.

I've been using the Pebble Time since it came out and would be lost without it at this stage. Love it. Can't wait for the smart straps to start coming out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

I bought one as wanted to try our a smartish watch.
    What makes the pebble great is it's battery life and waterproof to 50m.
    A day in and liking it so far. Was in a meeting today and could reply to a WhatsApp message.
    Yes u could get a moto 360 for a bit more but if I like this I'll upgrade to something new and flash.
    It's a cheap way to try out the tech and see if it suits

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Would this or the Sony smartwatch 2 be a better bet? The Sony has dropped in price recently

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DNDF2OU/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_awd_-UHvwbCQWTJV9

Yep, am loving this. Few watchfaces, Pebbos to control Sonos, NavMe for navigation, SkipStone to control XBMC and Leaf for my Nest etc.

Charged on Tuesday night.. still just under half indicated in battery.

If you're on the fence, definitely worth considering!
    dingding wrote: »
    THe steel has more memory, it can store 8 apps or watch faces. I think the standard version can only store 4.
    Oh, and this Pebble has 8 slots also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The steel looks so much better and, while a little clunky, hasn't aged imo. I wouldn't pay 70 euro for the basic, even though as basq said, it's the same inside. You're paying the extra for design not function.

For those wondering about other smartwatches, it's better to think of pebble as a text and email notifier on your wrist. And a week long battery. It does this very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Yep, am loving this. Few watchfaces, Pebbos to control Sonos, NavMe for navigation, SkipStone to control XBMC and Leaf for my Nest etc.

Charged on Tuesday night.. still just under half indicated in battery.

If you're on the fence, definitely worth considering!

Oh, and this Pebble has 8 slots also.

Thanks for the update - was sitting on the fence as you say and have now placed an order for one. Looking forward to it arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Does anyone know if the watch is compatible with window phones.
    being looking it up and seems to be mixed results

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Ideal Christmas presents for my husband, thanks. Before I buy it do you have to have 4G ? We're both in tesco mobile and 4G isn't an option.

now online wrote: »
    Ideal Christmas presents for my husband, thanks. Before I buy it do you have to have 4G ? We're both in tesco mobile and 4G isn't an option.
    No, that isn't necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Just wondering if anyone else here ordered online from PC World/ Currys. They seem to be taking a long time to despatch. I ordered on Sunday and would have expected to hear something by now or at least my order to move from a status of pending. Anyone else in the same boat ?

Thanks

Advertisement