Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripod for a beginner

Options
  • 23-11-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi everyone

Would anyone have any recommendations on a tripod for a beginner?

Preferably not something too heavy / awkward to carry

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Hi everyone

Would anyone have any recommendations on a tripod for a beginner?

Preferably not something too heavy / awkward to carry

Thank you :)
    Whichever brand you go for, do get a ball head one...much better than the fussy type......I didn't and need to buy again

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ciarafoto_ops

Okay great thanks! Is it a one size fits all generally or do I need to get one that is specific to my model of camera?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Buy once, buy right.

Don't buy a cheap light tripod. It won't serve you well, and you will end up buying a "better" one later on, wasting money.

Usually, the head will fit almost all cameras (definitely the major brands - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc). Many heads come with quick release plates. Always handy to have spare plates.

Go to a real shop and have a look at tripods. You don't have to buy there, but it's always good to give business locally when you can.

Try a shop like John Gunn on Wexford St (Dublin), Birminghams, Conns Camera, etc. Ask for their recommendations. Hold/feel the tripod.

Heavy is harder to carry, but usually gives more stability too. Don't rule it out.

Brilliant thanks that's really helpful :)

I will go have a shop around and hopefully santa will be generous this year.

Point taken on the weight of it too.. last thing you want is for it to move with a bit of wind

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Manfrotto 190 is very popular, and maybe the 496rc2 head...

• Advertisement

Going to see if i can pick one up 2nd hand somewhere! or ask santa nicely. Will keep a look out for manfrotto

Picked up a manfrotto today! dying to try it now :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Which one and how much?

The manfrotto one you recommended! Sent my boyfriend in to get for xmas so not sure on price!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have a Slik Print Pro 2 and a Manfrotto 055. The Manfrotto a fantastic tripod, but very heavy. So it's not ideal to carry around when hiking or what not. I use my Slik for when I am out and about. In most cases I would agree with buy right first time, but in some areas it's ok to have multiple versions of the same tool. When I started out in photography, I couldn't afford to pay 300+ for a tripod, so I spent about 60-70 euro on the Slik Print Pro 2, I then purchased the Manfrotto 055 (about 18 months later).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

I've heard people use to buy tripod two times...The first one would be something cheap, just as You want. Get some decent one instead You won't have to buy another one. I've got one off Aldi for like 20e...my god - i've never used that $@!@.

Advertisement