Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing content from website servers

Options
  • 23-11-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I run a very basic site for my local angling club and have been asked to remove some images lately at request of the original owner. I basically deleted original images in dreamweaver and replaced them with different photographs and uploaded the pages with filezilla. Job done.
    Problem is the individual has contacted me to say the images are still (according to google) still on the website's servers.
    How do I remove them???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you actually deleted the images off the server or overwritten them with files of the same name? Removing the images from the web page using dreamweaver won't delete the image files from your web server.

If you have deleted the images from your web server, Google probably has a cache of the images. If you're feeling helpful you should be able to submit a removal request using google webmaster tools. If you're not feeling helpful explain to the individual that it is Google that has a cache of the images and not your website, they will probably drop out of Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You can delete them in FileZilla, right click the files and delete function is on that menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Hi Graham, thanks for the response. No I didnt delete the images from the server as I don't know how to. I just deleted them in dreamweaver. Replaced the with new images and uploaded the webpages that the original images were on to the sever. So basically the webpages remained the same minus the images the person wanted taken down replaced with new unrelated images.

tricky D wrote: »
    You can delete them in FileZilla, right click the files and delete function is on that menu.

Hi Tricky, i actually was thinking of that but thought that function was just deleting them from my computer. Will it remove them from server?

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    Hi Tricky, i actually was thinking of that but thought that function was just deleting them from my computer. Will it remove them from server?

You should have 2 sides to FileZilla, Local and Remote. Make sure you've deleted them from remote (your server).

• Advertisement

I see Graham. I had deleted them from left side before I saw your reply. I have now deleted from remote side and it seems to have done the trick. Many thanks for the help. will it take long for their removal to register with google etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CarolynSmith

They are now gone if you have removed from the remote side. That's all you need to do, don't worry about search engines.

thank you guys. Appreciate the help.

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    will it take long for their removal to register with google etc?

That's a bit of an unknown. If it's not critical I'd tell the individual you've deleted them from the server but it may take Google a few days to update.

If you haven't already signed up for Google webmaster tools, you might want to start that now. You may have to jump through a couple of hoops to get the account setup and recognised for your website.

Advertisement