Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icy roads for central, southeast counties Mon 23rd now to 10:00 a.m.

Options
  • 23-11-2015 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to post this in my forecast thread but as this might be more useful to the general readership of Boards, I thought I should make a dedicated thread, first time I think we have used a level 2 for icy roads (edit changed to level 1 at 0730h), but I think there is probably a fairly severe condition awaiting thousands of drivers heading out before 0900h (and in particular before daylight). (later edit -- the most persistent black ice would probably be found in Carlow and Kilkenny and some adjacent parts of nearby counties as skies remained clear overhead there longer, also there is dense fog being reported in places that are sitting at 0 or -1 C).

SPECIAL ALERT for ICY ROADS

(mainly xx-- (dropped at 0730h Central, and--xx)

for inland southeast counties

valid NOW TO 0930h (Monday 23rd Nov)

Be aware that frost has developed across many parts of the central and inland southeastern counties, and roads may be very slippery (also you'll probably need a few minutes to scrape off your windscreen). Black ice conditions are possible -- this is where the roads have a thin ice cover that cannot easily be detected. Hopefully your local road authorities will have some treatment in place but drive with extreme caution especially on less travelled routes. Dense fog patches may add to the hazards, as well as the low sun angle after sunrise. This frost may not dissipate quickly especially where fog develops but the icy road conditions that materialize should be gone by 1030h at the very latest except in a few places sheltered from sunlight.

Stay safe and I hope the word will spread, as this is probably the first morning of the season with icy road conditions in many places.

(0730 -- main area of concern appears to be inland southeast such as Carlow, Kilkenny)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Only 2 Met stations below 0c at 4am, mine is -2.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Air temperatures stayed below freezing longest at Oak Park and have come up above freezing now in Casement and Mullingar. Remember though, ground temperatures run 3-4 deg lower than air temperatures and with the high humidity combined with those road temperatures, there can be black ice persisting for a while after the air temperatures have reached 0 or +1 C. Would expect there are some very icy roads in parts of Carlow, Kilkenny, possibly further west as Moorepark was -1 C at 0500h. Will drop the alert to level 1 as the risk is more isolated at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Grass minima this morning (°C):

-7 Mullingar
    -6 Oak Park, Dublin Airport
    -5 Casement, Ballyhaise
    -4 Johnston Castle, Shannon, Gurteen
    -3 Finner, Knock, Claremorris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

No frost or ice in Naas and it's currently 2.5C and it's cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Quite strange this morning around 6am. Some cars were frozen some weren't . Never seen it before. I know it depends on a lot of factors but mine was clear while herself's was iced up, and they were right next to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Roads in North Carlow are fine anyway bone dry, some light fog alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Quite strange this morning around 6am. Some cars were frozen some weren't . Never seen it before. I know it depends on a lot of factors but mine was clear while herself's was iced up, and they were right next to each other.

It depends on how long the cars were sitting there. I bet you drove yours yesterday while the other one sat there all day? It would therefore have been colder to start with last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

FWVT wrote: »
    It depends on how long the cars were sitting there. I bet you drove yours yesterday while the other one sat there all day? It would therefore have been colder to start with last night
    No they both got parked up about the same time. I'm sure there is a logical explanation, just a little odd this morning, saw many examples of it around the area d12 on the way to work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No they both got parked up about the same time. I'm sure there is a logical explanation, just a little odd this morning, saw many examples of it around the area d12 on the way to work.

Probably depends on the colour of the cars. Very dark/black cars will develop frost sooner/quicker than other cars.

I have seen it here. My car is dark navy and my wifes car is red. I have seen frost on my car and not on my wife's car.

Advertisement