Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic mechanic South Dublin

Options
  • 22-11-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

I usually use Ray, a mechanic with a garage off Sundrive Road. He does a good job, but is only one man and it's hard to get a time when he can work on the car. Does anyone have a name of another lad who could work on a classic car? I've some work I need done this week, if possible. The radiator core was changed but there's still a lot of crap in the water. I change it, but the water gets dirty and even a bit soupy again. The dashboard lights are out in spite of new bulbs. I might work it out, but someone expert might do it quick. That dash is so awkward to sort.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

If the water is 'soupy' it may be sign of a head gasket leak, i.e. oil getting into the water / coolant. What type of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Silvera wrote: »
    If the water is 'soupy' it may be sign of a head gasket leak, i.e. oil getting into the water / coolant. What type of car is it?

Wolseley 16/60.

I don't think it's the head gasket which was changed recently and one valve/valve seats ground. It just doesn't look like there's oil in it. It looks really like a rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Was the car run for a while with only water in it ?
    If it was there can be quite a bit of rust that needs a good flushing out .
    When you say 'soupy' does there appear to be something floating on the water - this could be oil.
    If the head gasket failed previously then there could still be a trace of oil lurking around somehwere .
    This would have the 1622 cc engine I presume - they were tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Is the head steel or aluminium? Was it skimmed at the time of the gasket change?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

I'd say the head is cast iron - so warping shouldn't be a problem unless it got a real roasting

• Advertisement

Soupy probably goes too far, it's just brown. The gasket did not fail, more that the gasket was renewed when one or another of the valve seats were reground. The gasket was old. I'll flush it and see if that resolves the matter. Anyone know of a mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 madmum3

Hi you could try Classic Vehicle Company in sunshine ind estate near to Sundrive road, if you want to pop in and talk to Alan (I am associated with the company)

@Madmum3 I might certainly take a look. It isn't critical that the water in the radiator is rusty looking, but I've had lots done with the metal on the car, new carpets etc, so I should sort it. I'm going to see if flushing again might work. And a person needs to be a bit of a contortionist to work out why the dash lights are off, the bulbs are new. Thanks. Crumlin Road is surely near anyhow.

Advertisement