Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incandescent bulbs

Options
  • 22-11-2015 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

What can I do with the old style bulbs - dead ones?

In pre-enlightenment days I would have put them in with the general waste but this seems a very bad idea. I don't recall recycling centres taking them. I have largely switched to the low energy bulbs but still have the odd incandescent bulb in certain locations. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I think there's a European law or regulation that when you buy electrical goods, the shop is obliged to take your exchanged redundant item for re-cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

^^ Not sure whether this applies to light bulbs. Any link would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Del.Monte wrote: »
    ^^ Not sure whether this applies to light bulbs. Any link would be useful.

There's a 50c WEEE charge on lamps, so it's they do. However if you drive to a place to dispose of them you are causing more damage than just throwing them in a bin

ted1 wrote: »
    There's a 50c WEEE charge on lamps, so it's they do. However if you drive to a place to dispose of them you are causing more damage than just throwing them in a bin

I wouldn't be taking a special journey anywhere with the bulbs, but it seems to me that they are a highly unsuitable item to be buried in a landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

The WEEE charge only applies to LED and fluorescent bulbs. That's not saying that a shop won't take incandescent back if you buy LED replacements, but they're not obliged to.

• Advertisement

The WEEE charge only applies to LED and fluorescent bulbs. That's not saying that a shop won't take incandescent back if you buy LED replacements, but they're not obliged to.

What will they do with them if they take them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Put them into their recycling bin with the fluorescents perhaps? This is total speculation, as I said, they are not obliged to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

SI 149/2014
    EUROPEAN UNION (WASTE ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC
    EQUIPMENT) REGULATIONS 2014

SCHEDULE 1
    CATEGORIES OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT
    COVERED BY THESE REGULATIONS DURING THE
    TRANSITIONAL PERIOD
    1. Large household appliances
    2. Small household appliances
    3. IT and telecommunications equipment
    4. Consumer equipment and photovoltaic panels