Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd reflexes in 1 year old on waking up

Options
  • 22-11-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Don't worry we are planning to see the Doc about this but just curious if anyone had a similar experience that had a benign explanation ( so as to reduce our anxiety!).

Little lad wakes up some times with a peculiar reflex motion in his upper body where he rounds his shoulders in an involuntary manner and seems to be uncomfortable. It is as like your body might move if you were about to retch only he is not sick or anything. This can go on several times and then stop and may not happen again for days. It's as if he has a little pain in his chest or in his back. It's quite a strong reflex when I hold him tight I can really feel it. No other symptoms and otherwise a very well and happy little chappie. I was wondering about trapped wind/ indigestion or something? It seems to wake him up from his sleep. it doesn't happen outside of sleep/ naps.

He first did it an odd time at about 9/10months and it stopped completely so we let it go as a phase. In the past few weeks it happens occasionally. Looks really odd. He doesn't like it and will give a little whimper each time it happens.

Benign and simple explanations only please... if any.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Is it possible it could be silent reflux? Not sure if it's the same but my little boy had silent reflux as a baby and it would come at him in his sleep. He would stretch his neck out and make a face and then start crying from the burning in his throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Is it possible it could be silent reflux? Not sure if it's the same but my little boy had silent reflux as a baby and it would come at him in his sleep. He would stretch his neck out and make a face and then start crying from the burning in his throat.

Interesting, thanks but would it start at such an age? I thought it a small baby thing that they grew out of. Although I was wondering about baby heartburn. would that be the same type of thing? I never had it myself so not really sure what it's like.

My minder has seen it twice and she thinks it's a teething pain. That makes him wince. GP appt on Friday anyway just to see.

So off to paediatrician we need to go. Doc thinks it's infantile spasms. Gutted . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

73trix wrote: »
    So off to paediatrician we need to go. Doc thinks it's infantile spasms. Gutted . :(

Hopefully everything turns out to be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

73trix wrote: »

Oh 73trix I'm so sorry to hear that :(:(

• Advertisement

Oh 73trix I'm so sorry to hear that :(:(

Gp thinks it's something he'll grow out of but he can't say that. We won't know anything til tests done. Worried sick. Off to a thread on epilepsy for me. 👎

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Our fellows are the same age.

I really hope you get comfort and a good outcome from the paediatrician visit.

I would be really worried too in the same situation but at the same time you will look after him and love him just as much as ever so he will be well taken care of 😊

Advertisement