Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hiccups

Options
  • 22-11-2015 10:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hey everyone,got a newborn.hooray!

It seems to have perpetual hiccups.tried winding and still there after he burps.
    he doesn't seem uncomfortable with them but is there a fix?
    is it a bad thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

My little boy still hiccups a lot at 5.5 months.
    I always found if I fed him a tiny bit more it would get rid of them. Mentioned it to PHN and gp and they said it was pretty normal.
    Congrats by the way!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Blingy wrote: »
    My little boy still hiccups a lot at 5.5 months.
    I always found if I fed him a tiny bit more it would get rid of them. Mentioned it to PHN and gp and they said it was pretty normal.
    Congrats by the way!!

Thanks very much!

Everyone says they are pretty normal alright but the happen out of nowhere,even after feed and winding.
    2 week check next Friday so will mention it to doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Some babies are more hiccup-y than others. My little boy used to have hiccups in utero a few times a day and when he was born, he was the same- hiccuping after every feed. My little girl rarely got them. A tiny bit of gripe water used to cure them for my little boy but we didn't feel the need to give it every time as he wasn't in discomfort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh my little girl used to get them all the time it was so frustrating as we'd have fed her, changed her, soother her so she was just about to fall asleep and they'd start up again! She only really stopped having them frequently in the last month or so and she's six months now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Gripe water will stop them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Thanks everyone for posting.it relaxes me anyway.everyone was saying it was normal,just got a bit unsure myself.

He isn't in any discomfort with them.they just never end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Lots of hiccups with our lad too. In utero and still now almost 10 months later. All medical people say its not an issue and they have lessened. I also find if he gets them mid bottle then giving him a little more to drink usually stops them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Just be aware hiccups can be a sign of reflux too but only with other symptoms. Nothing to worry about on their own. My reflux baby hiccupped alot in utero too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My son had loads of hiccups in utero, and in the first few months of his life. Paediatrician said it was nothing to worry about, just a bit of a pain in the bum for the baby! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Normal, though sometimes frustratingly annoying. If they're bothering him try a bit of gripe water. Our wee girl got them a lot for the first 3 months or so - never really bothered her unless they were keeping her awake. They tend to ease off with time...

• Advertisement
Advertisement