Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shirt for a suit

Options
  • 21-11-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a new shirt for my suit, I use the suit for interviews and weddings

the suit is black, so going for pink/lilac shirt

had a look in dunnes, unfortunately dunnes website is v poor can't find what I saw

anyway one shirt was completely plain texture, like a school uniform shirt, here is a link

http://www.dunnesstores.com/shirt-and-tie-set//dunnesstores/fcp-product/3971432?colour=stone

and the other while being made of a plain material had a design in it, kind of a v design

which to buy ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

First off, and I know this isn't what you were asking, ditch the black suit and get a navy one.

Then, go to TM Lewin and buy a plain white or plain light blue shirt (not pink or lilac) with a cutaway collar. Like these:

Blue

White

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I second the above poster, black is really not a great suit colour for either weddings or interviews.

However if you're stuck with it, I'd recommend a white shirt and relatively plain tie for interviews (perhaps with a stripe). You can max out the tie pattern for weddings, and I'd recommend a double-cuff for weddings also, with proper cufflinks. Generally steer clear of coloured shirts with black suits. They tend to look a bit... naff, the only options I'd think about are black and grey, neither of which should really ever be worn fr a wedding or interview.

You can get the plain cotton for interviews, however be aware that cheaper shirts (a la dunnes) tend to be quite thin and see-through.

The herringbone pattern is a lot richer and looks better quality. (I haven't checked your actual links). If you're not completely broke I'd steer clear of Dunnes and go with Debenhams for shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

If you're absolutely stuck with a black suit I'd stick to white shirts, maybe a light blue. Pink shirt with a black suit looks like something a teenager would wear to a debs. I'd second the recommendation for TM Lewin. They do great shirts at reasonable prices.

Advertisement