Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche and toddler

Options
  • 21-11-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

My toddler is 21m old and I want him to start going to creche going I'm starting to work in a few days. He already attends a creche in the evening for 3 hours, two times a week. He has never eaten anything... Maybe because he had already eaten or he didn't like the food. He can not eat specific kind of food cause he can not digest them well. So the manager says that we might have a problem and suggested to bring food from home in order for him to eat, but she pointed out that the other kids are going to be jealous of what he is eating...(and why not the other way around?!)

The other thing is that my toddler still breastfeeds, mostly in the morning when he wakes up and in the night when he wants to sleep. During the day he will breastfeed when he wants to take a nap. If I am not present and he want to sleep, he only needs a hug. The manager consider this as a problem cause if he doesn't eat and wants to sleep, they will have to sort out 2 things... which seems difficult for them.

Does anyone else had same problem, especially with food ? :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The sleep likely won't be an issue. The kids see what everyone else is doing and copy. First day of naps, my boy just lay on his mattress and fell asleep. No help needed. But I know my creche are really nice and there is a very climgy little girl. They do everythign to make her happy it's not a problem to them.

What kind of foods can't your boy eat? Ours will not allow people to bring in outside food due to allergies. There is a boy there with severe allergies and they just provide different bread for him etc.

I don't think there will be much jealousy if they handle it well but honestly they sound very reluctant to help you. Perhaps look at other crèches if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

He can't have potato, rice and wheat and they give kids every day these foods... I give him wheat, but 2-3 times a week to see how he handles it, still not really good.

There is another creche in the area, but 2 times she didn't contacted me back, so I won't even try bothering her again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

OP it really sounds like this crèche are not very flexible. my little girl (20 months) started in crèche 2 days per week a couple months ago. She doesn't really eat or sleep there tbh. She is there from 9am-4pm. She gets a good breakfast before she goes and as I know she prob won't eat much there I give her a lunchbox full of fruit (berries and grapes etc) to keep her going whilst she is there. We don't eat dinner until 6pm on our house so if she doesn't eat her dinner in crèche (at 12), she will still get her "proper" dinner at home. She occasionally eats what they serve in crèche which is great but I'm not that concerned if she doesn't as I know they will give her what I pack. Also, she's far from starving as if she was I'm sure she would eat what they give her.

She doesn't sleep well in the big room with all the children. Usually 20-30min when her sleeps 1.5 hours at home for me. But again... It's only 2 days per week so I'm not that concerned. She's happy when she comes home and seems in good form. And they are kind to her there. That's the main thing. And they are very flexible which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Find a different Creche. My child had allergies very early on and brought all her own food. Her younger sister does too, with no allergies, because I am making up school lunches anyway, and it's cheaper (and healthier) than their food options.

I have no idea how they can say the sleep will be a problem if they have never tried. I have never heard of a Creche complaining about a breastfed child before, or one with dietary restrictions. Sounds like the one you found is a pain in the backside. Find another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

pwurple wrote: »
    Find a different Creche. My child had allergies very early on and brought all her own food. Her younger sister does too, with no allergies, because I am making up school lunches anyway, and it's cheaper (and healthier) than their food options.

I have no idea how they can say the sleep will be a problem if they have never tried. I have never heard of a Creche complaining about a breastfed child before, or one with dietary restrictions. Sounds like the one you found is a pain in the backside. Find another.

Yes totally agree. The lack of flexibility would totally put me off. It shouldn't matter of your child can't eat the food there or won't sleep. If they were any good they should be able accommodating and definitely at least allow you to bring in your own food options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Nemecis

So unhappy :( I went to the third and last creche we have here and they have no position left :(

I think I have to go to this one and try to work things out... Starting from today I gave with him his snack from home. Waiting to see how things gone...

Advertisement