Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camper engine change

Options
  • 20-11-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys, the dad has a 1988 camper, its a renault chassis. The thing is chronically underpowered, what would be a rough cost of having a second hand engine with adequate power, supplied and installed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

First of all, what's in your own? Is it running correct? I'd try to get the current lump running right and get to get power from that (turbo maybe) rather than trying to get a different engine installed.

If you want to change the engine, you'll have to wory about engine mounts, gearbox, drive shaft(s), fuel water and exhaust plumbing and mount fabrication. If its a FWD Traffic, then youve got driveshaft angles and stuff like that to worry about.

I couldn't give a figure on cost as you'll be paying to have somebody figure it out, unless you find out if another lump goes in easy enough. I'm guessing that Renault probably shares bellhousing pattern so an engine swap onto your current gearbox may work. I will advise that some Renault van gearboxes of that generation were quite weak so before you look at strapping a huge turbo to your current engine.

Then again, vans of that era were never fast. The Autoquest generally sat at 50mph but it got everywhere, eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I guess its 1.4 or 1.7 petrol, the bigger engines had a sticky-outy grille I think so may not be room for the longer ohc engines without changing the nose bits.

The volvo 1.7 turbo which is based on the same engine but was a popular conversion for the renault 5 back then but I'd say they're like hens teeth now.

Advertisement