Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find family in 1911

Options
  • 20-11-2015 2:23pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm struggling to find a Fanning family on the 1911 Census.

They appear in 1901 at No. 56 Ninch, Julianstown but in 1911 No.'s 50 - 59 aren't listed so I'm wondering if their absence from the later Census is down to missing records?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 patcheenrocks

I'm struggling to find a Fanning family on the 1911 Census.

They appear in 1901 at No. 56 Ninch, Julianstown but in 1911 No.'s 50 - 59 aren't listed so I'm wondering if their absence from the later Census is down to missing records?

If you look at the House and Building returns (Form B1) for each census, a number of houses are listed as unoccupied.
    In the 1911 House and Building return for Ninch for example, house no. 50 - 59 are listed as unoccupied.
    (Sorry I'm unable to post a link).
    ETA: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003055756/

I don't know where the family might be in 1911, perhaps they moved elsewhere, there don't seem to be any obvious matches when you do a search.
    Perhaps one of them passed away, and the others moved in with relatives in different locations? Who knows?

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Best of luck with your research.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I just had a quick look and haven't found anything useful.

These other Fannings in Ninch are presumably related.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Meath/Julianstown/Ninch/713262/

You are aware that you can search with asterisks? F*nni* for example, just in case it's a weird spelling.

My search did lead me to see the wonderfully named Frederick Tinkles.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

In the 1911 House and Building return for Ninch for example, house no. 50 - 59 are listed as unoccupied.

That's a good spot patcheen - likely then that it's not a case of missing returns.

Yes Pinky, Hugh would be a brother of the other three who are all recorded as being much younger than they aught to be.

I've tried searching with the asterisk, or searching for the forenames or just browsing by area but nothing has turned up yet.

Frederick Tinkles is wonderful but I hadn't come across Yendole before either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Well I've found Rose Hamming living presumably with the same niece Mary Anne from the 1901 census.

John died in 1908 and that just leaves Thomas and there's a T F living in a workhouse in St. Laurence Gate, Louth which is the best I can do so far.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the numbers are just enumerator site reference not actual addresses and dont usually follow through from the 1901 to 1911 returns in rural areas.

e.g. the Gartan household is on site #7 in 1901 and #1 in 1911, the Saul household at #15 in 1901 and #3 in 1911 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

shanew wrote: »
    the numbers are just enumerator site reference not actual addresses and dont usually follow through from the 1901 to 1911 returns in rural areas.

e.g. the Gartan household is on site #7 in 1901 and #1 in 1911, the Saul household at #15 in 1901 and #3 in 1911 etc
    Enummerators seems to have gone their own way in each census. There is no indication if, for example they went up a street on the left or right side and then came down the other side; perhaps they criss-crossed the street going up or did they do that going down. It can be extremely difficult to actually find the exact building from the census forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Enummerators seems to have gone their own way in each census. There is no indication if, for example they went up a street on the left or right side and then came down the other side; perhaps they criss-crossed the street going up or did they do that going down. It can be extremely difficult to actually find the exact building from the census forms.

Enumerators had no option but to go their own way in each census, unless it was the same constable, and he had kept a copy of his earlier work ten years earlier, which would have been illegal.

Usually it is possible to identify which house it was by comparing each census, including the house and building return. It only becomes a problem where it is a large townland where the populace are largely the same surname, and occupy identical houses.

Do not forget also to look at the Valuation Office revision books, if the difficulty persists.

Advertisement