Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camel Winter Coats

Options
  • 20-11-2015 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Looking to get people's opinion on camel winter coats for men. I'm looking at coats like this one from Hackett

I already have a navy winter coat so it's not like it will be my only coat. It will be worn for dressy-casual wear with my usual winter uniform of dark jeans, vneck jumpers and oxford shirts. Thoughts anyone? Can I pull it off without looking like a 1980s mafia type or Dell Boy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't know why but I think they look better with suits. I think grey is nicer for more casual look.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'd be a fan, I think they can look great! The thing that will make you look like Mafia/delboy is if the fit and length isn't right. If you're not particularly tall I would steer away from that's too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Twee. wrote: »
    I'd be a fan, I think they can look great! The thing that will make you look like Mafia/delboy is if the fit and length isn't right. If you're not particularly tall I would steer away from that's too long.

Thanks Twee. I'm over six foot so I should be able to pull it off. I'm looking into getting one made rather than buying off the rack just to make sure that the fit is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 StylePoetic

Twee. wrote: »
    f you're not particularly tall I would steer away from that's too long.

Was just going to add this but you're dead right.

I'm only 5' 10" and had one on the other day and the lack of height did it no justice. Six foot and upwards and I say yes.

That one you linked looks particularly nice. I'd be a fan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It can still look good if it's above the knee, IMO:

TGW-Cary-Kalinda-umbrellas300x451.jpg

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    It can still look good if it's above the knee, IMO:

TGW-Cary-Kalinda-umbrellas300x451.jpg

Ok I'm sold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

100% yes if worn with a suit.

Casually - it all depends what you wear it with. This could work:

ab86d2a9612cb45967b9e5c9231da5f8.jpg

note how it's single breast. Double breast might not work in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Double breasted are inherantly more dressy. I love camel coloured coats, I really want one. If you keep to a simple pallette (dark wash jeans, heather get tee/ sweatshirt, decent slim line trainers) it can look great.

Double breasted are inherantly more dressy. I love camel coloured coats, I really want one. If you keep to a simple pallette (dark wash jeans, heather get tee/ sweatshirt, decent slim line trainers) it can look great.

I'm thinking maybe a light grey jumper with a white shirt, navy chinos/dark jeans and then the camel coat.

Is a subtle pocket square in the coat top pocket a bit much? Seems a shame to leave it bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm thinking maybe a light grey jumper with a white shirt, navy chinos/dark jeans and then the camel coat.

Is a subtle pocket square in the coat top pocket a bit much? Seems a shame to leave it bare.

If the coat has pockets, though it depends on the fit. A casual / jeans fit, you could probably go without the square. A suit fit? Again it depends on what else is going on. You could always just stick your leather gloves in the pocket!

copilot-style-fashion-201401-1389451537156_street-style-tommy-ton-fall-winter-2014-pitti-uomo-4-03.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Outfit sounds good.

I'd be wary of a pocket square on an overcoat. A camel wool coat is a big statement in itself, you run the risk of it being a bit peacock-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 StylePoetic

While we're on the subject of coats and tailoring, has anyone ever(successfully)had one taken up?

I have my eye on one that's perfect but could do with it coming up about an inch.

I've had most things altered but never a coat in length. Is it possible without butchering it?

While we're on the subject of coats and tailoring, has anyone ever(successfully)had one taken up?

I have my eye on one that's perfect but could do with it coming up about an inch.

I've had most things altered but never a coat in length. Is it possible without butchering it?

I'm sure a good tailor could do it. You'd probably want to find a real old-school tailor though. Not sure I'd trust the local Zipyard with something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I was shopping for kids clothing and ended in men's section, came across this and thought of this thread:

http://shop.mango.com/IE/p0/men/featured/tailored-wool-blend-overcoat/?id=53075521_09&n=1&s=destacados_he.musthave_he&ident=0__0_1448722690525&ts=1448722690525&p=7

It's not exactly camel colour but I like how the look is styled.

Thanks meeh, their sizing looks a bit small for me unfortunately. I'm kind of leaning towards a more casual coat style at the moment like the attached pic. The search continues :)

Advertisement