Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing handrail on stairs

Options
  • 20-11-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to replace a handrail on stairs that have already been installed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Letree wrote: »
    Is it possible to replace a handrail on stairs that have already been installed.

Of course it is
    Nothing is impossible armed with the relevant skill set
    How easy or hard it is depends on the circumstances
    Are the spindles been saved or replaced
    How is the hand rail fixed to the newls
    Is the same profile handrail going back on
    What's the reason for replacement.
    Maybe a picture would help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Of course it is
    Nothing is impossible armed with the relevant skill set
    How easy or hard it is depends on the circumstances
    Are the spindles been saved or replaced
    How is the hand rail fixed to the newls
    Is the same profile handrail going back on
    What's the reason for replacement.
    Maybe a picture would help

The spindles are to be saved, the handrail seems to be screwed onto the newel straight through the newel from the front. Basically i am looking to replace a painted handrail with the same size handrail in oak. The person who owned the house before me painted the stairs white and i think it looks too stark and would like to replace the handrail for an oak one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Letree wrote: »
    The spindles are to be saved, the handrail seems to be screwed onto the newel straight through the newel from the front. Basically i am looking to replace a painted handrail with the same size handrail in oak. The person who owned the house before me painted the stairs white and i think it looks too stark and would like to replace the handrail for an oak one.

My plan would be
    I take it the spindles will be repainted after it's finished
    Screw a length of 2x1 along the spindles about 1 inch down from the hand rail bottom edge to keep the spindles together when the hand rail is removed
    Then cut all the spindles just under the handrail take care with the nails in the spindles. A multi tool cutter with a timber and nails blade is a handy one for this.
    Then cut the handrail straight through about 6 inches from the newl posts and lift out the handrail
    Then give the remaining handrail a few gentle whacks of a hammer an chisel on the end grain it should part at the nails and screws
    The nails should just pull through
    The screws should break by tapping them from side to side mind your eyes
    Then fix the infill slip that comes with the new handrail on top of the spindles by glue and bail or screw
    Whether you are going to varnish or paint the infill piece it'd be an idea to have this done before you fit it
    Then cut the handrail to the correct length and angle and fit ( the easy part ;) )
    If the original screws come out handy enough use these screw holes again if not drill new ones to fix/glue the handrail in position
    Remove the 2x1 brace piece, clean up the screw holes fill sand and paint
    A similar set up for the landing rails then

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

My plan would be
    I take it the spindles will be repainted after it's finished
    Screw a length of 2x1 along the spindles about 1 inch down from the hand rail bottom edge to keep the spindles together when the hand rail is removed
    Then cut all the spindles just under the handrail take care with the nails in the spindles. A multi tool cutter with a timber and nails blade is a handy one for this.
    Then cut the handrail straight through about 6 inches from the newl posts and lift out the handrail
    Then give the remaining handrail a few gentle whacks of a hammer an chisel on the end grain it should part at the nails and screws
    The nails should just pull through
    The screws should break by tapping them from side to side mind your eyes
    Then fix the infill slip that comes with the new handrail on top of the spindles by glue and bail or screw
    Whether you are going to varnish or paint the infill piece it'd be an idea to have this done before you fit it
    Then cut the handrail to the correct length and angle and fit ( the easy part ;) )
    If the original screws come out handy enough use these screw holes again if not drill new ones to fix/glue the handrail in position
    Remove the 2x1 brace piece, clean up the screw holes fill sand and paint
    A similar set up for the landing rails then

Thanks for that detailed info bonzo. That has outlined clearly what would be involved in changing the handrail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement