Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to update Android version 4.1.2

Options
  • 19-11-2015 5:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Can I update to a new version of Android on my phone?

It says the latest software is already updated when I go to "about device" in the settings menu.

Glaxay s3 mini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Flashing a custom ROM is likely the only way to upgrade further in that case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Flashing a custom ROM is likely the only way to upgrade further in that case

What is flashing and what is a custom ROM?

Not very good with tech talk but if you explain I will try it.

It's basically upgrading the phones software to a version of Android that isn't released by Samsung. It'll normally give you better speed and battery life, with less bloatware than Samsung's Touchwiz.

It's normally fairly stable, and easy to do if you follow all the steps lain out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

It's normally fairly stable, and easy to do if you follow all the steps lain out

Where can I learn these steps. Thanks

• Advertisement

I'll post a link in the morning/afternoon when I'm not half cut mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

http://www.android.gs/update-galaxy-s3-mini-with-android-5-0-lollipop-firmware/

Have a read and see what you think of the instructions..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What is flashing and what is a custom ROM?
    Think of Android as an operating system lying on top of a Linux kernel, and think of the ROM as another word for the operating system(technically this is not accurate, but for simplicity of understanding the concept of what you're doing, go with it;))
    The hardware for your device, well the drivers for that hardware are in your Linux kernel.
    The kernel interacts between the hardware on your phone and the Android operating system. When you flash your phone, you physically replace the operating system, but the Linux kernel typically remains the same.

Can you choose any operating system - No!
    If you put a new operating system on your phone, it will naturally be assuming a relatively recent Linux Kernel such as 3.10 for example, whereas your phone could have an old kernel such as 3.4 or older. The problem is that your kernel can't talk to your operating system. You end up not being able to boot into the operating system and you're left with a boot screen. Is this fatal - No! It just means is that you just need to flash another older operating system (ROM) that is compatible with your kernel.

Custom Recovery
    Usually you need to put on a custom recovery, which stands outside the ROM, and allows you swap on and off different ROMs. Most importantly, it allows you do a backup of your ROM to an SD card for example, so if you mess up your phone and it won't boot with a new ROM, you can go back into your Custom Recovery and restore your original ROM.

As it is a Samsung, it is easier than most phones, as almost any flashing software you need is easily accessible.
    Assuming you are using Windows, you need the Samsung drivers to communicate between the phone and pc http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117
    Then you need software than installs a Custom Recovery(almost every phone has a different custom recovery so make sure you get the right version, so this one may not work) on your phone, so download Odin http://odin3.en.lo4d.com/ to install the Custom Recovery
    That is the hard part over!!

Then just look on sites likes this for ROMs like CM, OMNI, SLIM and so on. Pick one, down load the zip to an sd card, boot into Custom Recovery and select "Install update from sd card"
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/rom-aosp-unofficial-slimlp-alpha-0-9-t2977801
    The first time you do it, it will take hours, as you are only learning. But once you've done it once, you will then be able to flash any Samsung phone in about 15-30 minutes after that:P.

Give a read of this....
    http://androidadvices.com/update-galaxy-s3-mini-lollipop-android-50-aosp-firmware-guide/

But, I would advise any beginner to go into youtube, and search within youtube for Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy s3.;)

Advertisement