Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodpeckers

Options
  • 19-11-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I'm very interested in the return of the Woodpecker to Ireland and would love to see one. I know that their stronghold is the Wicklow area - no doubt aided by the relatively high level of woodland in that county. I understand that they've spread into parts of Dublin since and that they've also got reasonable numbers in Co. Down. Apart from that, they're rarities for the most part, though with a bias in sightings toward the Eastern side of Ireland. My question is, how quickly will they spread? Will they ever become common? They're regular enough visitors to bird tables in the UK, so will we soon see them in our gardens?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I know people who get them in their gardens already, but location is key. At the moment I'd say they're spreading quite well and I'd say it won't be long before you won't have to travel too far to see one, wherever you live in the country. But I'd say we're a long way off having them as a regular garden bird up and down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

My sister spotted one on near the Lagan in Belfast .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Didn't Capercaillie post an image recently of Woodpecker holes in a tree trunk somewhere in Carlow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Bonedigger wrote: »
    Didn't Capercaillie post an image recently of Woodpecker holes in a tree trunk somewhere in Carlow?
    Yip. Tomnafinnoge Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

Think those woods are in Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

junospider wrote: »

I just had a quick gander and it looks like you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

They are, beside Tinahely..have heard the GSW there but haven't seen one...yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Jaysus, I always thought they were in Carlow:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Had GSW sightings in a patch of old mixed woodland in north Longford in 2014 and again this year (female bird) but sightings were sporadic and irregular - may be passing through or commuting between a number of wooded sites in the area. Have also heard of reported GSW breeding up in Monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

I had a look at records for GSW on the Biodiversity Ireland website a few weeks back, and was delighted to see they've been spotted (no pun intended) in east Co. Waterford, among other locations. There have also seemingly been a couple of very isolated sightings much further west, such as one that looks to be somewhere around Kilgarvan, Co. Kerry, and another in south Co. Clare.

http://maps.biodiversityireland.ie/#/Species/11298

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

</script>="ltr">
    Jayzesake wrote: »
    I had a look at records for GSW on the Biodiversity Ireland website a few weeks back, and was delighted to see they've been spotted (no pun intended) in east Co. Waterford, among other locations. There have also seemingly been a couple of very isolated sightings much further west, such as one that looks to be somewhere around Kilgarvan, Co. Kerry, and another in south Co. Clare.

http://maps.biodiversityireland.ie/#/Species/11298

Not too far from me - I was hoping somebody would tell me something like that! As others have said, though, it'll probably be a while before they're common, I suppose. That said, I recall reading that the Magpie was unknown in Ireland until around 1700, but quickly became quite common and it is quite amazing how fast the Collared Dove has spread since arriving here in the mid-50's, so you never know...

Advertisement