Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on bandsaws

Options
  • 19-11-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

I'm finding it hard to find a good band saw I'm Ireland, there seems to be virtually no second hand market for the machine,

I'm looking for a 14in bandsaw in the price range 600-700 something like this https://www.iedepot.ie/bandsaw-galway/

Will be used for general woodwork projects

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

andy125 wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to find a good band saw I'm Ireland, there seems to be virtually no second hand market for the machine,

I'm looking for a 14in bandsaw in the price range 600-700 something like this https://www.iedepot.ie/bandsaw-galway/

Will be used for general woodwork projects

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The specs on most bandsaws mean nothing if the motor is not up to the job of cutting to those dimensions. Don't think a 2 HP motor is going to cut 14" of wood !
    At that budget you are looking at a second hand machine.Motors can however be switched out by any handy machinist.Don't forget the UK market - most of the retailers are happy to ship over here.
    One of the best value bandsaws in single phase is the Hammer N4400, with a 4 HP motor but you would have to triple your budget to buy in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There were a few second-hand Startrite bandsaws on DD recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

IF you want a challenge, you could tried Matheis Wandels homemade bandsaw. Looks a bit daunting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Halycon wrote: »
    IF you want a challenge, you could tried Matheis Wandels homemade bandsaw. Looks a bit daunting though!

Bandsaws really need cast iron wheels to develop momentum. Matheis is a genius at jigs but I'd stick to metal wheels.

Advertisement