Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going up market

Options
  • 19-11-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this but the mod will move it if not.

What is everyone's opinion on Duunes Stores new more up market look and range of clothes, now that Pennys have cornered the cheap and cheerful part of the market I supposed they had to position themselves in a different segment of the market.

I like the new ranges they have some lovely work wear and winter coats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

MOD Hi OP, I've moved this thread over to Fashion and Appearance as I feel it's more appropriate to this forum. Please take note of their charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I can't comment on the actual clothes but I was in the newly refurbed and reorganised Dunnes in the St. Stephens Green a few weeks back with my GF who is from the Liberties- she pointed out that the new look and the move more "upmarket" will probably alienate a lot of the older traditional shoppers, particularly around there. A lot of them do their weekly shop downstairs and then pop up or a look at the clothes.

It was an observation I hadn't thought of, thought it was an interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think Dunnes aren't in a great place in the market, they seem to be a bit lost.
    When I was younger I would have thought of Dunnes on a par with Penneys. However having grown older and actually having worked in Dunnes for a bit - it is really geared towards women in their 40's. It's fine for staple items like plain clothes, work clothes but nothing on trend. They tried to change this with the Savida range aimed at younger women and I did buy some things from that range for the first few years but they have had nothing appealing to me in the last few years except for the Valentino style shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think there are too few lower mid range brands that cater for older customers. Penny's is fine if you are 20. Women in their thirties are catered for quite well by Zara, Warehouse, Next and similar brands but when you get into 45+ bracket there is very little except M&S and independent boutiques that all seem to sell Gerry Webber and Betty Barclay if they feel adventurous but at higher prices.

I think it's welcome addition and I hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm loving Dunnes lately, think they have really upped their game and diversified. I was attracted by the Carolyn Donnelly homewares in particular but I've actually bought quite a few bits ofclothing from Dunnes regular range in the past few months and found the stuff to be well cut, especially jumpers with a good degree of wool content, great skinny jeans, and a fabulous scarf that gets admired every time I wear it - nobody can believe it's from Dunnes.
    My mum likes some of the stuff aimed at older ladies (signature collection or something like that, and Gallery) and I will be chasing up some of the Paul Costello clothing and bedding in the sale - can't argue with the quality but the prices are steep on some items.
    Savida would be their 'brand' most aimed at my age group (I'm 30) but I rarely like any of their stuff - I'm more of a classic/quirky dresser and would find a lot of their stuff a bit gimmicky, but I suppose that's simply because they are more fashion led.
    The Lennon Courtney stock flew off the rails in my local Dunnes and if I find myself in a job that requires more formal dress I will be all over their next range. Excellent dresses for the price.
    If they could improve their footwear and ladies trousers selection they would win even more customers IMO.
    Edit to say, their upmarket kiddies clothing ranges are fantastic for special occasions, definite competition for M&S and Debenhams in that market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I just wish Matalan would come over here. They hit that sweet spot in between the Penneys and the M&S kind of standard. Which is what I think Dunnes are going for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I'm a big fan of Dunnes at the moment, I'm early 40s and they are great for work wear in particular ,knitwear is very good .like their jewellery too

Advertisement