Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Xps L501x

Options
  • 18-11-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

got one of these off ebay for a steal €113

i5 m560 @ 2.67ghz
    6gb ram
    500 gb hd

can the processor be upgraded to an i7 ?

anybody got any idea ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its unsoldered so yeah, should be fine. Was offered with i7-740QM so BIOS should support one of those.

Note you CANT use any of the newer iSeries CPUs, just the 1st gen ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

ED E wrote: »
    Its unsoldered so yeah, should be fine. Was offered with i7-740QM so BIOS should support one of those.

Note you CANT use any of the newer iSeries CPUs, just the 1st gen ones.

cheers

would these be easy to install

also im looking for a palmrest for this machine , any idea where i'd get a cheap 1

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Have you a link?

I wouldn't do it, I had the L701x and it had completely inadequate cooling and throttle the cpu and sometimes it shut off because even throttling couldn't keep the heat below 90 odd Deg. Even doing nothing, just browsing the web it ran about 70-80 Deg C.

I had the I7 740 Qm or something like that and it ran Nuclear, those 1st Gen I7's ran roasting hot. But in all fairness having a GPU Nvidia 440m and I7 on the one cooler was a disaster waiting to happen, extremely bad design.

Funny enough, while gaming , it seemed to cool the 440m but couldn't cool the I7 so I would not upgrade the I5 in that machine because I am sure it will suffer the same flaw. You'd want to make sure the power supply can handle it too or you will have problems.

Advertisement