Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 3 in a row coming up for Kilkenny

Options
  • 18-11-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

- Galway are without a manager and players think they know best so are all over the place for now
    - Tipp looking like they will be going through another few years of transition with retirements and manager change also
    -Cork were swept aside by Galway last year and lost their manager, may improve somewhat
    - Waterford played the tactics game but you'll never beat a KK with so few up front
    - Dublin seem to have management issues also, at least one seasoned player left the panel last year
    - Wexford were awful in 2015, touch and basic skill levels were shocking
    -Clare can't stop fouling and throwing games away, they also lack ball winners up front like most other teams, bar Kilkenny
    - Limerick have an ageing panel and were average in 2015, they were swept away at the All Ireland club finals too

- Kilkenny have had no retirements and replaced experienced players this year with ease. Cody stays on AGAIN. They have the two best players (R.Hogan and TJ Reid) in the country at the peak of their power.

Does anyone else feel the same as me that Kilkenny are going to walk their way to another All-Ireland in 2016?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Only one solution, split them in two!........

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Or create a super league with just Kilkenny teams in it and let them dog it out on TG4 every Sunday?
    Then everyone else can play off against one another with a hope of winning something :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Waterford and Clare will be the most interesting ones to watch next year, both capable of pushing on and improving. Galway it's very hard to know what's going on off course, could go either way but they've put massive pressure on themselves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭randd1

EICVD wrote: »

Actually would probably be better than most sides outside the top 8. There's a lot of unspectacular, but nonetheless good and very solid hurlers in the North and South sides to make up two very good sides.

Weird, but the underage structures in Kilkenny are actually geared for the clubs to have as good a club scene as possible. A big consequence is pretty much every club has two or three very good, consistent players, so the supply lines are in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If Clare could actually manage to get their act together, it'd be great to see them against Kilkenny in a championship game. A lot of their team were able to beat KK when they were U-21.

Waterford hopefully should improve again in 2016, but it still mightn't be enough to beat KK.

Hard to know what to expect from Tipp, due to the management change and the few retirements. They won't be too far away though. Callinan, Bubbles, Padraic Maher, Barrett... they've a lot of top-class players.

I can't see Cork challenging KK. The caliber of players just aren't there at this point in time.

God only knows what Galway will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

And make them share their AIG...oops sorry....I mean, their Avonmore dosh with everyone else. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Make them play football, that's what I say, otherwise reduce their funding, spit them in two, make them play in Munster, that will sort them out, no more easy stroll to the semi final. Or all of the above. They must be stopped at all costs though, they are ruining hurling for the rest of us.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Make them play football exclusively

That should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Yes Kilkenny will win three and then four in a row.

As for the drive for five, same as the last time, Tipperary will be back to ensure that the drive will not be able to take them over "Slievenamon "

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Might not be as outlandish as you think! Waterford County Council are trying to claim half of south Kilkenny for themselves. Apparently this is going to be raised in the Dail for the purposes of a vote. Were it to be voted through, KilKenny County Council would have to go through the courts (using the citizens money of course:mad:) all the way to Europe if necessary to try get it stopped. Hence players from clubs like Mooncoin, Slieverue, Tullogher, Mullinavat, Glenmore etc. would have to line out for the Deise.

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    Might not be as outlandish as you think! Waterford County Council are trying to claim half of south Kilkenny for themselves. Apparently this is going to be raised in the Dail for the purposes of a vote. Were it to be voted through, KilKenny County Council would have to go through the courts (using the citizens money of course:mad:) all the way to Europe if necessary to try get it stopped. Hence players from clubs like Mooncoin, Slieverue, Tullogher, Mullinavat, Glenmore etc. would have to line out for the Deise.

They wouldn't have to, surely? The gaa isn't obliged to change its administrative boundaries just because the county council does I'd have thought? Didn't this already happen between Clare and limerick years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Nonsense! what would changing the city boundaries have to do with the gaa divisions? Same with limerivk/clare boundary change...Its misunderstandings like this that has people up in arms about sensible suggestions that would help the two cities but instead are bogged down in nimby protests...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the winners of the Clare vs Waterford munster semi final next year will win munster

Kilkenny will win leinster yet again beating Galway in the final.

Semi finals
    Tipp vs Kilkenny
    Limerick vs Clare

Final
    Clare vs Kilkenny (the so called biggest all ireland final in years). Kilkenny winning handy yet again :(:(

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the winners of the Clare vs Waterford munster semi final next year will win munster

Kilkenny will win leinster yet again beating Galway in the final.

Semi finals
    Tipp vs Kilkenny
    Limerick vs Clare

Final
    Clare vs Kilkenny (the so called biggest all ireland final in years). Kilkenny winning handy yet again :(:(

We must try and keep track of all of your predictions this year, last year you made so many of them (all with equal self-assurance) it was impossible to keep up. Sadly they were all wrong, which makes me sad about 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I wouldnt be writing off Tipp too easily. Whatever about KK tipp are capable of matching the rest. The chasing pack is large but I think one of Clare Waterford Limerick or tipp will challenge KK. I wouldnt consider Galway when making predictions.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Nonsense! what would changing the city boundaries have to do with the gaa divisions? Same with limerivk/clare boundary change...Its misunderstandings like this that has people up in arms about sensible suggestions that would help the two cities but instead are bogged down in nimby protests...

Kilkenny county council don't seem to share your expert opinion.

'It would also see the area changing county and province and this would result in a very significant change to the area's community and social identity.'

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/Main.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's pretty funny considering what is normally blaring from the Croke Park loudspeakers every bloomin' September. :rolleyes:

Kilkenny county council don't seem to share your expert opinion.

'It would also see the area changing county and province and this would result in a very significant change to the area's community and social identity.'

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/Main.pdf

Yeah but that doesn't mean the GAA has to go along with the change. Personally I wouldn't like to see a transfer of administration of the area to Waterford, but I don't see how that change would mean they have to start playing for/in Waterford down south. The GAA could just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭randd1

Can't see how people have been tipping Clare to challenge Kilkenny.

They have been hurling poor, their gameplan is poor, their strength in the air is poor, their defending has been poor, their ability to win dirty ball is poor and a good run in 2013 against what was let's face it, a Galway team that were feeling sorry for themselves, and Limerick and Cork sides who were miles off of what they had shown previously and have shown afterwards (Cork against Clare especially).

Fair enough, they got the wins that won them the AI and deservedly so, but the overall quality was so poor it allowed them to flourish.

There is, I think, too much been made of their U21 wins. The fact is four games against hardly the greatest prepared opposition in 2013, Clare have to go back to 2006 for a decent summer. They won their first U21 in 2009, the vast majority of players are there for 4/5 years at least, and yet we've only seen a handful of decent performances from them.

Now they may come good, but I suspect that there's more hype than substance. The hype being generated by U21 results, which in my view are totally misleading. An U21 side may have a good few seniors which can raise the quality of the side as they have an advantage over the opposition. Now matter what anyone says, senior is miles ahead of U21 and having a few seniors tips the balance.

Minor is an infinitely far better indicator of long term quality as it's just lads against other lads of the same type, no senior training, just skill and character. The record of Clare's four U21 winning sides in minor? Two Munsters.

The U21 record skews the real quality that Clare had coming through, which was well behind what other counties achieved. The senior AI in 2013, which was completely against all known and subsequent form, blew the hype into overdrive.

Now I'm not saying they can't do well, I can't predict the future, and they do have soon very good hurlers. I'm just curious as to how people can tip a team that have, quite frankly apart from a good run against average opposition, can challenge for an AI when they can barely win a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

adrian522 wrote: »
    Make them play football, that's what I say, otherwise reduce their funding, spit them in two, make them play in Munster, that will sort them out, no more easy stroll to the semi final. Or all of the above. They must be stopped at all costs though, they are ruining hurling for the rest of us.

Why? Not able to achieve their standard or do not want to make the effort or cannot!

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's pretty funny considering what is normally blaring from the Croke Park loudspeakers every bloomin' September. :rolleyes:

Suppose you could call it collateral damage?

Yeah but that doesn't mean the GAA has to go along with the change. Personally I wouldn't like to see a transfer of administration of the area to Waterford, but I don't see how that change would mean they have to start playing for/in Waterford down south. The GAA could just ignore it.

Yeah the GAA have a poor record in geography what with Galway & Kerry playing in the Leinster championship. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

exaggerate much? Kilmacow and Slieveure are the only 2 clubs potentially affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

bruschi wrote: »
    exaggerate much? Kilmacow and Slieveure are the only 2 clubs potentially affected.

That is 3 clubs to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Whatever clubs fall into the new boundary will be able to chose wherever they want to play so there is no point in people whipping up fear for no reason. It's purely an administrative move. It makes no sense for any city or large town to be on a county boundary as all it does is hinder development (and some things are more important than GAA, i.e. jobs and especially in places like Kilkenny and Waterford in the South East).

I'd be very surprised to see anyone actually beat Kilkenny next year whatever about giving them a game for 50 or 60 mins. It's only a matter of time before all these All Irelands become devalued due to the competition Kilkenny are facing. Nearly all the other counties are finding just too hard to realistically bridge the gap. Clare took advantage of an unusual blip for KK a couple of years ago and to be fair to Tipp they beat a strong KK to win theirs but never seem to be able to maintain an All Ireland winning team to the same high quality. Cork seem to be finished as a consistent hurling force now and have just fallen back to the rest who hardly ever win anyway regardless of how Kilkenny are going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

That is 3 clubs to many.

another one who cant count. and as Redlead and many others have said, it will not make any difference to county or club boundaries.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

- Galway are without a manager and players think they know best so are all over the place for now
    - Tipp looking like they will be going through another few years of transition with retirements and manager change also
    -Cork were swept aside by Galway last year and lost their manager, may improve somewhat
    - Waterford played the tactics game but you'll never beat a KK with so few up front
    - Dublin seem to have management issues also, at least one seasoned player left the panel last year
    - Wexford were awful in 2015, touch and basic skill levels were shocking
    -Clare can't stop fouling and throwing games away, they also lack ball winners up front like most other teams, bar Kilkenny
    - Limerick have an ageing panel and were average in 2015, they were swept away at the All Ireland club finals too

- Kilkenny have had no retirements and replaced experienced players this year with ease. Cody stays on AGAIN. They have the two best players (R.Hogan and TJ Reid) in the country at the peak of their power.

Does anyone else feel the same as me that Kilkenny are going to walk their way to another All-Ireland in 2016?

Kilkenny have a dearth of talent coming through, haven't won an AI U21 for 7 years, haven't got out of Leinster for the past 3 years, have been beaten out the gate by Wexford the last two years.

Michael Fennelly hardly able to train anymore.
    Build up to the AI this year started in Kilkenny on the Thursday before the AI, celebrations finished on the Monday, McCarthy Cup awarded in a near empty stadium. All other teams have to be hungrier than Kilkenny.
    Tipp should have won the drawn AI in 2014, Galway should have won the drawn AI in 2012, could have won the AI this year.
    Kilkenny nearly relegated from Division 1 this year.
    Eoin Larkin at veteran stage, may not see Richie Power again, subs bench very weak
    Galway have the best forwards in the country.
    Tipp have the most skilful players in the country
    Waterford have the best young hurlers in the country.

Donal Og to rein in Davy and allow Clare hurlers to play
    Limerick have the most exciting prospects in the country after this year's U21
    Cork are Cork
    Wexford have no fear of Kilkenny having beaten them at underage level
    Dublin have a lot of talent, Cuala beating Clara
    It is always darkest before the dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

another one who cant count. and as Redlead and many others have said, it will not make any difference to county or club boundaries.

One of the reasons a lot of people have stopped posting here, a sense of humor appears to be a thing of the past around these boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think KK are rightly the favourites but I don't think it's worth discounting all the rest so far, my thoughts on the "others" would be (in no particular order)

Galway - Players will be fully bought into whoever comes in, they have the hurlers but have struggled to be a team for a while, the curren situation could be what's needed to gel it together.
    Tipp - Need to stop focusing on KK and just concentrate on themselves for a while.
    Waterford - Showed that they are a top 3 team, need to come up with a Plan B though.
    Cork - They have the hurlers but need to find 2 or 3 players down the middle
    Limerick - They are the dark horses, they won't fear anyone and have plenty of experience.
    Dublin - If they can get organised they will be challengers.
    Clare - have the players, last team to win an All Ireland, don't "fear" Kilkenny but are more interested in coming up with new stuff than just playing hurling, if they play their own game and let the opponents worry about them rather than worrying about the opponents then they'll take beating. I do think the Clare forwards have the "potential" to cause serious problems for the the KK backs, but "potential" isn't worth anything if they don't play them.

Advertisement