Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest vs Tado vs Hive vs...

Options
  • 18-11-2015 1:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're looking at buying one of these smarter thermostats. Ignoring boiler compatibility, does anyone have any experience with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I just ordered a Tado as they are on special offer during November and this weekend they have an additional 10% off for Black Friday etc.

€323 delivered including an extension kit which is needed if your existing system doesn't have a room thermostat.

I did a bit of research and I prefer the smart functionality of the Tado Vs the others in particular how it auto switches off as the last person with a smartphone (and the app installed) exits the house and then it monitors the weather forecast and traffic to turn the heat back on when you are on your way home plus it auto turns on even if no one is home if the temp drops below 5c to prevent your pipes from bursting. Pretty smart stuff which should result in a very efficient use of energy. At the moment my system is on a timer and half the time I'm heating a house with no one in it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dSleeper

I just ordered a Tado as they are on special offer during November and this weekend they have an additional 10% off for Black Friday etc.

€323 delivered including an extension kit which is needed if your existing system doesn't have a room thermostat.

I did a bit of research and I prefer the smart functionality of the Tado Vs the others in particular how it auto switches off as the last person with a smartphone (and the app installed) exits the house and then it monitors the weather forecast and traffic to turn the heat back on when you are on your way home plus it auto turns on even if no one is home if the temp drops below 5c to prevent your pipes from bursting. Pretty smart stuff which should result in a very efficient use of energy. At the moment my system is on a timer and half the time I'm heating a house with no one in it!!!

Isnt it very similar to the nest 3? Im looking into this too, and really I'm getting a bit lost on the details.
    Does the "Hot water control" only allow the hat water to be controlled by the gas/oil boiler? I'm looking for a system that can control a timer on the immersion, and a timer/room thermostat on the home heating (my home heating doesn't have an option to water heat only)
    Currently 250 without installation..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks for that. We went for the Tado too as it can regulate the temperature of our boiler, not just switch it on and off.

We also liked the presence detection function you mentioned. Only just got it working so we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Macha wrote: »
    Thanks for that. We went for the Tado too as it can regulate the temperature of our boiler, not just switch it on and off.

We also liked the presence detection function you mentioned. Only just got it working so we'll see how it goes.

Any update Macha? How is the Tado working out?

I installed the WiFi bridge and Thermostat today but I need help from a sparks to install the extension kit. Hopefully the sparks I use will give me an hour of his time in the next 2-3 days.

The one thing I'm a little concerned about is how hot water is controlled with the Tado. Our Vokera gas boiler setup is very simple. The gas boiler heats water and rads via daily profiles set on a Siemens time switch (http://www.ie.screwfix.com/siemens-rwb27-timeswitch.html) i.e. timer is set to "on" from 6am to 7am to provide water for showers and heat the house, again from 1pm to 2pm to warm the house mid day and provide more hot water and again from 6pm to 7pm to warm the house and provide hot water for cleaning up after dinner, kids showers etc.

In summer we have a switch which is external to the gas boiler which allows us to turn off the rads so the boiler just provides hot water.

How will the Tado ensure there is enough hot water in the mornings and evenings, particularly during the summer when we have the rads turned off or when the ambient temp is so high that the Tado won't kick in?

Guess I should have thought this through before buying the Tado but I did contact them and explain the setup of our system and they said it would work with the Tado. I'm both :confused: and :o now :(

Advertisement