Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC red button 1999 - 2016?

Options
  • 18-11-2015 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/nov/17/bbc-sport-online-news-cuts-athletics
    Spending on athletics and minority sports is to be cut by the BBC, with its Red Button services also facing the axe, as the corporation aims to save £150m a year before its final round of budget negotiations with the government.

The broadcaster will cut online news and make savings in overheads as it deals with a funding shortfall, but it has promised to protect spending on drama.

A “significant chunk” of the savings to be announced on Wednesday morning, amounting to £35m, is expected to come out of sports rights, according to sources.

The Red Button services, which replaced BBC Ceefax in 2012, offer news and sport text services and are particularly popular during big live events such as Wimbledon and Glastonbury.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I found on Wiki a BBC financial report from 2014...

The BEEB spends an incredible amount of money on a lot of areas that one would struggle to see as core to their purpose.

The report can be found here.

For example:
    last year they spent £150m on national broadband roll out....
    Nothing to do with the BBC really.
    Last year they spent £105m on S4C...
    The corporate side of the organisation cost just shy of £600m

elsewhere....
    £110m was spent on BBC 3 (I thought they were ditching that?).
    £143m on CBBC.

There seems so much fat to trim.
    And while dropping the pseudo-sports like darts & snooker is probably just, the red button is a very very useful tool to have to their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I suppose this will include the dropping of BBC RB station also, it would be good if they could keep the station, it's on both the freesat and freeview epg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I found on Wiki a BBC financial report from 2014...

The BEEB spends an incredible amount of money on a lot of areas that one would struggle to see as core to their purpose.

The report can be found here.

For example:
    The corporate side of the organisation cost just shy of £600m

elsewhere....
    £110m was spent on BBC 3 (I thought they were ditching that?).
    £143m on CBBC.

There seems so much fat to trim.
    And while dropping the pseudo-sports like darts & snooker is probably just, the red button is a very very useful tool to have to their disposal.

The BBC are obliged under law to fund S4C, and pay for BB rollout and pay for free TV licenses for those 75 and over (the latter is the real killer for the beeb). The Tories are making sure the BBC is reduced by force of commitments that have little to do with the business of making programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

For example:

They didn't have much choice did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The BBC are obliged under law to fund S4C, and pay for BB rollout and pay for free TV licenses for those 75 and over (the latter is the real killer for the beeb). The Tories are making sure the BBC is reduced by force of commitments that have little to do with the business of making programmes.

Indeed, I know that well.... and it's moronic.

Cut the Archers, & Desert Island Discs or some such beloved by the Tory base.... state explicitly the monies they have to spend that have little/nothing to do with the BBC.

I've seen BBC head honchos justifying themselves in front of commons committees.... so much unnecessary burdens loaded & they do a piss-poor job at fighting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

And our government have landed RTE with funding TG4 through the license fee, while also expecting them to pay for broadcasting a station not under RTE control (Oireachtas TV).

BBC3 is to be axed in Jan 2016, it is going online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Doubt snooker will be going anywhere thankfully.

If the red button goes though it'll lead to a big drop in the number of games they cover during tournaments.

Advertisement