Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we ever find out all there is about life/existence?

Options
  • 18-11-2015 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have been thinking a lot lately, due to my introvert nature, about life. About people and their endeavours to find out about life, trying to explain how it started or the meaning behind it.

But I was thinking about how we are limited by language and our human intelligence. I think our human intelligence is our biggest burden to understanding "it all." We are only as intelligent as we are, the ideas we can grasp and the theories we can comprehend.

Do you think we will be able to find out about the meaning of life? Or how it all started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Your post really asks three different questions?

The first is cosmological or possibly ontological. e.g How it all started? This is a very old question,e.g. Empedocles (c. 492—432 B.C.E.)
    Was there ever a time before time existed? ( Cicero, Augustine etc.) Why is there something rather than nothing? (Heidegger)
    http://www.iep.utm.edu/empedocl/#SH3b
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/nothingness/

The second question is epistemological. e.g. What can we know? Plato in his famous myth of the cave thought that we can really know very little. What we see are mere shadows.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

Your third question is perhaps existential. e.g. What does life mean (to me)?
    There are different opinions here. e.g.
    Life is absurd and has no meaning?
    We discover/construct our own meaning?
    The meaning of life is always beyond life itself. e.g transcendent/religious
    The meaning of life is to try to life right and do the right thing. (Duty/Moral/stoicism/virtue etc)
    The meaning of life is to try to be happy/pleasure.(There is a risk of hedonism here)
    etc........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

But I was thinking about how we are limited by language...

Sapir-Whorf hypothesis compares and contrasts linguistic determinism and linguistic relativity. It suggests that language is deterministic to the extent that it frames the way we see the world. But language is relative to the extent that different language grammars are not necessarily equivalent, consequently observations of the world in French may be dissimilar to some extent from observations of the world in Arabic or Mandarin Chinese. The old cliché "lost in translation" suggests this problem, and may account in part for different world views and philosophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

It's funny. I think all of these theories are all in our head. We don't need them. They do nothing for us as a living person. It makes no difference. Maybe there's a theory for that too.

Edit: I don't think we're limited by our language. Not in an overall sence.. maybe in our personal ability to express thoughts possibly...

Advertisement