Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts of Indefinite Duration and Agency Employees

Options
  • 17-11-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I am currently working for a large multinational company in Dublin.
    I am technically employed by a recruitment agency, and contracted to the multinational company. I only work for this company, and have received 3 fixed term, 1-year contracts so far. My understanding of employment law is that after my 4th 1-year contract I must be given a contract of indefinite duration.

It is unclear to me whether this is the case when employed through an agency.
    I work in the exact same role as permanent people employed directly by the company.
    Does the agency have to offer me an indefinite contract or the company?

Does anyone have information on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The agency.

Most agencies in these situations are pretty well aware and good about it, and you will be offered a CID with the agency starting exactly on your 4th anniversary.

They're pretty meaningless, the client can still can cancel their contract with the agency at any time. But if that happens, then the agency has to pay you redundancy. Oh ... and they look better for the bank if you're going for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peej255

That is what I would expect to happen. But part of me feels like this must in violation of the law, as this method could be used to entirely circumvent the need to ever give Contracts of indefinite Durations (CIDs).

Advertisement