Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHOIS database

Options
  • 17-11-2015 8:11pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For my job I set up a simple website with a unique domain using weebly. Have no real experience in setting up websites at all, but I recently got an email from weebly about the WHOIS database. Had never really consider that my name and address were on a public database that's ripe for direct marketers and whatnot, so I purchased privacy protection.

Was wondering, what is the going rate for privacy protection? Is it not a bit of a rip-off that you have to buy your privacy on a public database?

Secondly, how real is the chance the your domain will be cancelled if you put up fake information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Many registrars offer privacy for free. I use a (cheap) US based provider but if I told you the name I'd have to kill you (no discussion of hosting companies allowed!) Of course you could PM me instead...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

fcrossen wrote: »
    Many registrars offer privacy for free. I use a (cheap) US based provider but if I told you the name I'd have to kill you (no discussion of hosting companies allowed!) Of course you could PM me instead...

It sounds like the OP already has a domain name, the use of Weebly would also suggest a non-technical user so moving domain registrars may be a pain and may not be an option with Weebly anyway.

OP going rate is anything from free (commonly for the first year only) to about $10 per year.

The rules for your top level domain probably insist on real contact information so 'buying your privacy' consists of paying Weebly for the use of their contact details and an email redirection service.

I haven't heard of anyone loosing a domain for providing incorrect details but that's not to say it doesn't happen and is it really worth the risk for the sake of a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Like has been mentioned whois privacy can vary by price but some registrars offer it free or for a very low fee. I wouldn't pay more than a dollar or two anyway.

Another thing to remember is that if your domain whois information was not protected for an amount of time then there is a chance your details have been cached somewhere. who.is do this and they charge you to remove your information from their public facing database.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thanks for the info all. Will be more careful about it if I'm ever involved in setting up a website again. Not a technical user at all, but I reckon I could probably manage using a different host. Already paid my money for the rest of my domain host, wish I had informed myself of this beforehand! Seems like a bit of a racket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for the info all. Will be more careful about it if I'm ever involved in setting up a website again. Not a technical user at all, but I reckon I could probably manage using a different host. Already paid my money for the rest of my domain host, wish I had informed myself of this beforehand! Seems like a bit of a racket.

For next time, it's worth keeping in mind that your hosting company and your domain registrar do not have to be the same. Dealing with two companies does make setup a bit more complicated though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement