Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I use to finely sand and finish small items?

Options
  • 17-11-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice on the best way to sand small items. I have a dremel 3000 and a palm sander. I'm looking for a high quality finish overall but for the majority of the work what is best or what should I purchase?

Thanks
    Chantelle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Whatever works for the job, really. What sort of small items are you talking about, might be able to help easier.

If it's small and fiddly, maybe cloth-backed sandpaper in the hand is the way to go. Start with maybe 80 or 120 grit (depending on your toolwork) and work up through 120, 180, 240 etc till you get your desired finish, but accept my apologies if you have that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ch1984

Prenderb wrote:
    If it's small and fiddly, maybe cloth-backed sandpaper in the hand is the way to go. Start with maybe 80 or 120 grit (depending on your toolwork) and work up through 120, 180, 240 etc till you get your desired finish, but accept my apologies if you have that already.

Hi there, the pieces of wood are probably about .5 to .75 of an inch so, a small area to work on. I find it hard on the hands as it takes a while but it probably is the only way I'm guessing? Would be a hard job to clamp and do it any other way I'd say considering its so small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its very fiddly at that size and you might sand them out of shape. Could you sand them before cutting ? Otherwise stick some 240 grit on a flat board with double sided tape and use your fingers to hold the pieces. For more production type work its worth investing in a disk sander which is great at getting the 'whiskers' off cut lengths of wood.

Advertisement