Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamping Appeal!!

Options
  • 17-11-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with making an appeal with a private clamping company (NCPS)? Basically we are residents at an apartment complex in Dublin, we have a valid permit, actually we have 2 valid permits but only one car! So we had it displayed in the windscreen but it had been turned over, we weren't aware that we would be clamped if this happened. So we rang up and the guy came out, we fought our case but we had to pay and he said all legitimate appeals where a permit is valid are successful, he said a lot of old people live in the building and they get confused so it does happen, its just 4 out of 5 permits that are upside down are out of date, which we understand, but ours is valid. So he lured us in to a false sense of security that we would get the €120 back. We went on to their website and filled in the appeal and they just emailed us today saying 'whilst they sympathise' with us they cant refund us. This seems extremely unfair!!! Anyone know where we go from here? Like if we were parked somewhere illegally fair enough but we have a valid permit!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I can't recall of ever hearing of a successful appeal on first try... Secondly you'd need to check the print but I'm quite sure you'll find it will list a requirement for the permit to be clearly visible which you admit it was not which would be allow them to clamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No chance. My wife's car was in for a service so she had a garage car.

Forgot to transfer the permit.

Sent in all the documents to the clampers, proof of the hire car, receipt for repairs, permit etc and we still got the same line you did.

I don't hate many things but private clamping firms are the lowest of the low, bunch of treacherous bastards the lot of them.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

You were mad to pay the release fee. Should have removed the clamp and gone on your merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

is it possible to chargeback a credit/debit card for these cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The mistake here was paying them.
    Will be difficult to get money back now.

Personally, I'd get tooled up, get clamped again, remove the clamp and make it disappear.
    At least it will cost them a few quid to replace that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Like the folks said no chance....
    I was working in inner city and had paid 14 euro for a full day into the meter...
    with 40 mins left on my ticket I STILL GOT CLAMPED....
    When I rang them and explained, I sh*t you not they hung up! Twice and I wasn't being aggressive. 2 garda walked past and I showed them the tickets.
    Both male and female Gaurds said "If you take the clamp off yourself. its nothing to do with us. Thus in my case not illegal to get an angle grinder to it....

Way anchors is all i can say ... in the end I had to pay the 120 or whatever it was to get it off..

happy shinny clamping people holding hands.. pr*cks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Steve012 wrote: »
    Like the folks said no chance....
    I was working in inner city and had paid 14 euro for a full day into the meter...
    with 40 mins left on my ticket I STILL GOT CLAMPED....
    When I rang them and explained, I sh*t you not they hung up! Twice and I wasn't being aggressive. 2 garda walked past and I showed them the tickets.
    Both male and female Gaurds said "If you take the clamp off yourself. its nothing to do with us. Thus in my case not illegal to get an angle grinder to it....

Way anchors is all i can say ... in the end I had to pay the 120 or whatever it was to get it off..

happy shinny clamping people holding hands.. pr*cks
    Was this the official Clampers appointed by the council or one of the unregulated companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

vandriver wrote: »
    Was this the official Clampers appointed by the council or one of the unregulated companies?

NCPS

Not the council, and the Guards knew it was a wrong judgement on NCPS'S behalf, so they said they'd turn a blind eye it ain't illegal, what they did was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You were mad to pay the release fee. Should have removed the clamp and gone on your merry way.

Unfortunately I don't have an angle grinder or you bet your ass I would have done a job on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hellokitty2016

vandriver wrote: »

Hi,

It was a private company NCPS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 hellokitty2016

The guy who came to take it off was so smug too! When he seen we had a valid permit he should of taken the clamp off in fairness! Well we are going to keep ringing them and annoying them and they will just have to refund us to get us off their back :D fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

You should have cut it off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I presume you need to know what you're doing before cutting it off.

I'll applaud anyone who knows what they're up to but there will be sparks coming off which might damage your paint or tyres.

And if you don't get it off properly, you have to pay them after all, and they come out to a mangled chain, they mightn't be too happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Patww79 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd pay someone else twice as much to remove it rather than pay them.

If I had loads of money, which I don't, I would also.

I just know that if I was let loose with an angle grinder, there'd probably be a hole burnt in the side of my car off the sparks, the disc would have shredded the tyre and I'd still be no closer to getting the bloody thing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Bolt cutters does the job. Think it's a 42", whatever the biggest one is. Lever it against the ground. U can rent them easily enough.

Advertisement