Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby with a head cold

Options
  • 17-11-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Our 9 month old has a head cold and horrible chesty cough. He was up ALL night crying. I took him to the dr yesterday and he said as it was viral there is nothing I can give apart from what i was already giving. Plenty Fluids, his inhaler for the cough (atrovent) and calpol.
    Anyone have any bright ideas? not looking forward to another night like last night. I put snuffle babe on his feet for the cough too, but its such a horrible fluidy phlemmy cough. his nose isnt blocked really , just runny.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

put a tilt on his cot for his sleeps, we put a pillow under our little girls mattress when she had her cold, its easier to breathe.
    I also used to hold her over hot water in a bowl, both of us in under a towel, eased it enough to get her to settle to sleep. just be careful of wandering hands when under there! And needed to repeat it in the middle of night too but it did get her a couple of hours sleep at a time.
    its awful seeing them like that and knowin theres not a lot you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Steam the baby. Into the bathroom and let the shower run or to save water bring in the kettle and keep boiling it. Will help with breathing. I think there is a plug in you can get for the room at night too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Keep them warm and snug is the best. And tilted slightly upright for naps and sleeping.

You could reduce dairy a little if he is eating (I know mine don't eat much when they have a cold), maybe take out any yoghurts and swap in more fruit instead. If you are breastfeeding, reduce diary in your own diet for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

We got calpol plug in, it smells of lavender and chamomile. Also there's a saline nasal spray to help shift the bunged up nose. If the radiator is on in the room try putting a damp towel on it to put some moisture back in the room same effect as kettle or steam in bathroom. Our little fella (7 months) has had this for a week now and we've been doing all you have too, think it does just have to run its course. It's hard though when they don't know what's wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I used to tilt the mattress, use saline spray and a bulb syringe to get the snot out and dab olbas oil for children all over the mattress sheet. It's horrible when they're all bunged up. Using saline spray regularly helps with the cough as it's usually caused by a nasal drip. I think I must've contributed to the profits of olbas oil at one stage. I used to buy them 5 at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Olbas oil on a tissue near the cot (but not somewhere they can get a hold of it!) will help keep the runny nose at a minimum.

As others have said, keeping their upper body slightly elevated also helps with a cough.

You can give both Calpol and baby Neurofen together, and it's lifesaver when they've a bad cold. Rather than a dose of calpol every six hours, you can alternate the calpol and neurofen every 3 hours. One is paracetemol and the other is ibuprofen, so it's safe to mix them like this.

Don't just take my word for it of course :)http://www.mccabespharmacy.com/fevers-children/

Advertisement