Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a bird in the attic

Options
  • 17-11-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a bird in my attic. I need it gone. Smallish black thing. About the size of a fist if I saw it right. Do I need to get pest control in or will it leave? I have a lot of my kids stuff up there and don't want bird crap on it for safety reasons. Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's a bird, and not a bat, it will be unlikely that it will find it's own way out. I have rescued quite a few over the years and it can be tricky. A fishing landing net is handy for catching them but some attics are difficult to maneuver in. A bird, without food, in an attic will die very quickly.
    Pest control companies aren't great for this kind of thing. See if you can do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I've rats in my attic, you'll be grand.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I've rats in my attic, you'll be grand.

If you are serious then you most certainly won't be grand. Get that sorted. And solve the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

If you are serious then you most certainly won't be grand. Get that sorted. And solve the cause.

Oh I won't be, I know that. Got professional help to get them out.I'd love to have a bird there instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Swampy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a bird in my attic. I need it gone. Smallish black thing. About the size of a fist if I saw it right. Do I need to get pest control in or will it leave? I have a lot of my kids stuff up there and don't want bird crap on it for safety reasons. Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

S.

Possibly a Starling. Have a go at capturing it yourself. Throw a big towel over it and then release it outside. Just don't let it starve to death up there. You have nothing to worry about with regards it attacking you despite being cornered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

It's gone now. Definitely a starling. I tried to catch him with a towel but it wasn't happening.

He bailed out a small hole near the eaves at the front of the house. I'm assuming it goes outside. I blocked it up with insulation once he legged it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's back. The little fecker.

Starlings are persistent little blighters. You'll need to block the entrance with more than insulation. Use wood or metal.

It will probably leave to feed at some point but timing the repairs can be fun. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

It's back. The little fecker.

Unless there was a second one up there all along and it's now blocked in. Good luck with it OP. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

I had rats in the attic. It was like riverdance in the middle of the night with them running all over the place.

• Advertisement

Update:

I went up to the attic. Nothing there. The wife swears she heard it there again. I think the birds might be outside though in the external facia/cladding.

I suppose I'll just wait and see.

No, definitely still there. Hiding. I'll give it a break until tomorrow as the storm is going to get fairly heavy later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

No, definitely still there. Hiding. I'll give it a break until tomorrow as the storm is going to get fairly heavy later.

Dont do that on the birds account - its better off outside than inside.

If it can't get out it could well be dead by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Update:

I went up to the attic. Nothing there. The wife swears she heard it there again. I think the birds might be outside though in the external facia/cladding.

I suppose I'll just wait and see.

I had a starling in my attic last summer.
    I opened the trapdoor and closed all other doors upstairs and downstairs so bird could only fly around landing, stairs and hall. I went outside for about 10 minutes.

When I returned starling was in the landing flying around but was focused on one window so opened it and bird departed.

Trying to catch a bird in the attic or to encourage it to go back out the way it came in, seems like a long shot to me. If you hear the bird flapping around and hitting things in the attic, the bird is in panic mood so easiest way out is the way to go.

Advertisement