Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apple macbook air v. Dell XPS

Options
  • 17-11-2015 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I'm debating buying either of these for my daughter.

Willing to spend a fair bit on a laptop for her, she is dying to get herself an apple computer but the cynic in me wants something of really excellent quality rather than the "label".

Now I may be being slightly unfair on the mac book air of course. Would I be better off getting her a Dell XPS for a little extra?

Would it be a vastly superior machine for a small bit extra? reading some poor reviews of the mac book air, sure its not bad but would 950-1100 euro be best spent elsewhere?

She would be into her gaming etc, so not sure if the mac book air would be the best bet on that front either.

I may be completely wrong on all of this, just looking for a bit of advice from someone who knows a little better.

cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What games does she play?

Work gave me a MacBook Pro. I couldn't fault the hardware. I had issues with the software, but then Im a linux user.

With the Dell, the hardware is decent, but you need to answer the question of what Operating System? Microsoft are pushing Windows 10 out but many of my friends are calling it the latest Vista. Windows 7 is pretty solid both in User Interface design and stability. Windows 8 has the horrible UI.

If her games work on the MacBook, I'd suggest that. Don't get me wrong, Im not an apple fanboy at all. Nothing in my house is Apple. I handed back both the iPhone and MBP I got. The UI of the iPhone irritated me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

syklops wrote: »
    What games does she play?

Work gave me a MacBook Pro. I couldn't fault the hardware. I had issues with the software, but then Im a linux user.

With the Dell, the hardware is decent, but you need to answer the question of what Operating System? Microsoft are pushing Windows 10 out but many of my friends are calling it the latest Vista. Windows 7 is pretty solid both in User Interface design and stability. Windows 8 has the horrible UI.

If her games work on the MacBook, I'd suggest that. Don't get me wrong, Im not an apple fanboy at all. Nothing in my house is Apple. I handed back both the iPhone and MBP I got. The UI of the iPhone irritated me.

Thanks very much for your reply, she likes all sorts of games. she plays call of duty, fallout etc.... I should also point out that shes a college goer so she would use it for assignments etc.. although I dont imagine either will have limitations on that particular front.

Silly question aswell but could you order the XPS from Dell with windows 7 at no extra cost ?

price690 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your reply, she likes all sorts of games. she plays call of duty, fallout etc.... I should also point out that shes a college goer so she would use it for assignments etc.. although I dont imagine either will have limitations on that particular front.

Silly question aswell but could you order the XPS from Dell with windows 7 at no extra cost ?

The Hot off the shelf XPS comes with Win 10 installed, but your daughter sounds like more than just a casual gamer so is probably up for installing win 7 on it assuming there are compatible drivers.

To be honest, I'd make sure you confer with her before you buy, gamers usually know what they want hardware wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Generally speaking MacBooks are not exactly gaming machines unless its 'web games' like Candy Crush etc. While they're surely capable of much more than that very few real gaming titles have Mac versions. Also I think the only Macbook with a somewhat serious gaming graphics card is the 15" MBP, but we're talking serious money here, well over 2k. The Macbook Air I just decided not to buy because of the lack of the high dpi 'retina' display. Other than that I would have loved it. I guess the 2016 model will probably have that display.

I mean I don't want to tell anyone what to spend their money on, but how old is your daughter and what is she going to do with that thing? You don't need to spend over a grand on a marquee brand if spotify, snapchat, facebook and candy crush etc is what she's after.

P.S. Just seeing reply to later post. Ok, she goes to college and uses serious apps, that's different. I had mental image of a 13 year old candy crusher here. :) But anyway, MBPs don't do fallout and call of duty, you need an actual gaming laptop with a MS Windows base here.

The Hot off the shelf XPS comes with Win 10 installed, but your daughter sounds like more than just a casual gamer so is probably up for installing win 7 on it assuming there are compatible drivers.

To be honest, I'd make sure you confer with her before you buy, gamers usually know what they want hardware wise.

I'm really only asking as she really doesnt have much of an idea in terms of hardware. She has purchased a laptop before that was totally incompatible with her requirements for use.

She does like her labels and is really an apple enthusiast. I was unsure whether the spec of both was similar, or indeed if the XPS was alot better and the prices only similar due to one of the machines having a apple name.

I'm quite happy to spend over €1k on a laptop provided its value for money. And was pretty much wondering whether the €1k is capable of being spent on something of vastly superior quality than an Apple macbook air (11 inch) and i'm open to suggestions on that.

Once again thanks a million for taking the time to reply

• Advertisement

Yes, especially if she has gaming requirements you can do a lot better for 1k plus than a Macbook Air. She will look cool with it in college but the MBA will do nothing for her gaming wise. She will be very disappointed. Just being honest here and I love Apple, have an MPB myself.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Yes, especially if she has gaming requirements you can do a lot better for 1k plus than a Macbook Air. She will look cool with it in college but the MBA will do nothing for her gaming wise. She will be very disappointed. Just being honest here and I love Apple, have an MPB myself.

would the Dell XPS be a better option in terms of gaming?

Even with windows 10 installed

A gazillion times better. When it comes to gaming its as much about the hardware as it is about the operating system. MacBooks are Intel based and can technically run Windows but they don't come like that, they come with MacOS and you would need someone to set up dual boot with Windows for you. Someone who knows a little about setting up machines etc. You would also have to buy that Windows extra.
    There is no mainstream PC gaming without Windows I'm afraid. So you're better off with a machine that comes with Windows off the shelf.

I hear your concerns about Windows10. I heard nothing but bad things about it in computer magazines. Basically they say its one big adware spyware thingy posing as an operating system that combs through your docs and mails and user behaviour and whatnot so that Microsoft can make you an open book for targeted marketing. I wouldn't go near it. Best Windows ever is still Windows 7.

Generally speaking MacBooks are not exactly gaming machines unless its 'web games' like Candy Crush etc. While they're surely capable of much more than that very few real gaming titles have Mac versions. Also I think the only Macbook with a somewhat serious gaming graphics card is the 15" MBP, but we're talking serious money here, well over 2k. The Macbook Air I just decided not to buy because of the lack of the high dpi 'retina' display. Other than that I would have loved it. I guess the 2016 model will probably have that display.

I mean I don't want to tell anyone what to spend their money on, but how old is your daughter and what is she going to do with that thing? You don't need to spend over a grand on a marquee brand if spotify, snapchat, facebook and candy crush etc is what she's after.

P.S. Just seeing reply to later post. Ok, she goes to college and uses serious apps, that's different. I had mental image of a 13 year old candy crusher here. :) But anyway, MBPs don't do fallout and call of duty, you need an actual gaming laptop with a MS Windows base here.

MBPs do do Call of Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's the XPS 15 you'd really want to be looking at for any sort of decent gaming performance. The 13" ones don't have discrete graphics and only use intel integrated graphics. And more screen real estate while still being super light, means it still functions as a laptop. The old XPS era failed miserably there, they were like carrying around a sack of bricks. Aside from the screen resolution, it's pretty much on-par with the MB Pro 15", well above the level of the air. The downside is it's €1,599

Realistically you were well out of the target market for the air anyway. It was never intended as a gaming laptop. I do agree with Boskowski though, I certainly wouldn't drop money on anything less than a macbook Pro model

• Advertisement

MBPs do do Call of Duty.

Sorry, I stand to be corrected here. There is a Mac version of COD. But generally speaking mainstream gaming titles come either months after the Windows release or not at all. Its better than what it used to be but between cost of the Mac and availability of the games very very few gamers would chose a Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 option

the new Dell XPS 15 should be great!

option wrote: »
    the new Dell XPS 15 should be great!

to be honest with ya I wouldn't stretch to the near €2k it would cost for the Dell XPS 15.

Its just too far above budget. I'd go to 1200 at a stretch.

Would the XPS 13 be no good either?

Realistically you were well out of the target market for the air anyway. It was never intended as a gaming laptop. I do agree with Boskowski though, I certainly wouldn't drop money on anything less than a macbook Pro model (I disagree on his 15" comment though, my 13" MBP Retina has been perfect!)

But the 13" MBP Retina suffers from the same problem you mention with the XPS, only integrated Intel graphics, doesn't it? The 15" is the only one with discrete gaming card afaik?

I actually just bought a brand-new 13" MBP with integrated Intel Iris 6100. Must check out whether it will run Elite Dangerous.

But the 13" MBP Retina suffers from the same problem you mention with the XPS, only integrated Intel graphics, doesn't it? The 15" is the only one with discrete gaming card afaik?

I actually just bought a brand-new 13" MBP. Must check out whether it will run Elite Dangerous.

For some reason my brain didn't even register the word "gaming" in your post.... woops. I retract my earlier comment, I am in full agreement with you :D

The XPS 15 has this graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
    not the XPS 13...

price690 wrote: »
    Its just too far above budget. I'd go to 1200 at a stretch.

Would the XPS 13 be no good either?

Intel HD graphics, particularly on a laptop processor would really struggle with the likes of the games you've mentioned. They won't even hit 30fps on 1366*768, nevermind 1920*1080.

Perhaps option 3 to consider, if you're willing to spend up to 1200. Buy a cheap laptop for college stuff and actual laptop use. Build a gaming PC with the rest of the money.

If you split it 700-800 in favor of PC / 400-500 laptop respectively, you'd end up with a very reasonable gaming PC (including monitor) and a pretty good laptop too.

Intel HD graphics, particularly on a laptop processor would really struggle with the likes of the games you've mentioned. They won't even hit 30fps on 1366*768, nevermind 1920*1080. .

I totally agree with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Would def go with Challengemasters idea of going with desktop/laptop. For gaming, you get way more bang for your buck with a desktop - the components are way cheaper and more powerful. Watching films and tv is also way easier on a desktop screen.

Also, a laptop is susceptible to damage from drops and bangs. If you are spending €1000 or more on a laptop and your daughter drops it on her first day and destroys the screen you'll probably at least a couple of hundred more on repair.

Go with the gaming desktop and basic, everyday use cheap laptop.

Or buy a 700 euro laptop and a PS4.

• Advertisement

A gaming PC will always be cheaper and far more powerful especially for 1200 Euro's.

As suggested above a PS4 and a 700 Euro laptop would be a far better bet for gaming.

I bought the macbook pro 13 inch with the iris 6100 just on Wednesday, while it won't play games at high detail it will be ok for the occasional gamer like myself.

Mac comes with boot camp to allow you to install windows so you can dual boot to windows if you choose. You'd want a decent sized hdd. I opted for the 256 SSD because I have my NAS and can log in from anywhere and will be getting Fibre soon so it's like my own personal cloud. I will be able to stream music and videos from anywhere so space isn't a huge importance to me considering I only have half filled my old 250 GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd which I am selling if anyone is interested PM me.

The Macbook is fantastic and the screen amazing, I get about 14 hrs surfing with about 40% screen brightness. Compared to 4 hrs from my Dell inspiron 2 in one that has fallen apart, hinges broken and touch screen disabled. I am selling also if someone wants to fix it up PM me. There is no cure for the touch screen. The Screen itself is good and 1080P.

It's expensive but I'm not going to waste money on Dell again, bad quality. So far the mac is excellent but in fairness a lot more expensive. My fist MAC and I really love it , Nice to have an alternative to Windows for a change. Not saying windows 10 is bad because it's not and not saying OSX is better either it's just different, I'm still getting used to it but so far I am very impressed with the whole machine.

Advertisement