Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Kite Dunshauglin

Options
  • 16-11-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

So I saw this guy today fly by me carrying a rat. Great to see. Never ever saw anything like this as a kid in the 80's. Super to regularly see birds of prey now. So I caught this one on the dash cam. It was carrying a rat. Impressive sight. I think there was a second kite there, not 100% sure on this though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

In the first image (Capture no.5) the shape and colour on the wings look quite similar to that of a Buzzard, but I could be wrong. An obvious thing to look at is the tail, but can't make out the shape in the images. One way or another, it's always great to see raptors up close like that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

I didn't know what it was when I saw it, googled and the underwing looked like the same pattern as the red kites online. So maybe it was a buzzard. I will attach some more pics.

Here is a link to the 1 minute clip. Bird appears at 38secs. I braked as I thought I might hit him/her.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8osg7PJ4TpAUjJBYTNZbERoSHM/view?usp=sharing

I cannot make out any tail in any shot. I was looking at the rat. It was very clear in the flesh. The camera is great for a dashcam, lacking for this though.
    Thanks for the reply/idea about buzzard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a Buzzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

As Srameen say's that is a buzzard alright.

Advertisement