Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal - towpath closed

Options
  • 16-11-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So, I saw a notice today posted on a wall just before the kissing gate at the 8th lock on the Royal Canal.

NOTICE

The towpath will be closed here on:
    Monday 16th November
    and will re-open for the end of:
    February 2016
    Diversion will be in place

Ballymore

On my way back from my walk I saw that the same notice was posted facing the other way at the 9th lock.

There are some houses/apartments being built there, Royal Canal Park, by this Ballymore group.

These notices weren't there before the weekend, and I can't see anything on the WaterwaysIreland website about any closures to the towpath.

I know there are planning permission notices up for improvements from Croke Park up to Ashtown (if I recall), and I don't think this is that.

So this Ballymore are saying that they're closing off a stretch between the 8th and 9th locks for a few months, starting today (it wasn't closed today).

Is this okay?, does anyone know anything about this one?

-gh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I've just come back from a run up that way and it's still closed, and the signs are gone. So much for "until the end of February".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Where would you check when it's due to open again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I live very near there and while it is tedious to have to make the diversion, it's not too far out of your way, plus it's not at all unpleasant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Whats the route of the diversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

You leave the towpath just at Royal Canal Park, and a footpath (note: you do have to cross the road before you leave the estate) brings you to the old Ratoath Road. By turning right, up towards Campbell's Garage, you quickly rejoin the canal towpath. You get a great view of all the building work that's going on - plus you go past the new takeaway at the entrance to the estate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 gordonhowe

I don't know, I wouldn't call the diversion pleasant. Walking past two building site entrances at this point, and crossing the road a few times with no lights..

But, yeah, I found a notice on Waterways Ireland after I made the first post: Notice Number 143 of 2015, Posted: 12/11/2015. The have/had permission until March 2016.

Their own signs said February, maybe they were being optimistic.

No sign of it being finished. A boat-house or something is still going up a few bricks to the day.

-gh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Is this where the new train station is due to go - are they doing work to facilitate the pedestrian bridge across?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gordonhowe

Nah, they're making thing near where the new housing estate is going up: "construction of a new widened canal area with canoe facilities and improved boat berthing arrangements".

-gh

Advertisement