Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tablet 8 year old

Options
  • 16-11-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all, would love to hear any advice/suggestions for a tablet for an 8 year old. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

A tablet for an 8 year old? The idea of a 8 year old getting a tablet is just bazaar to me. What good is it to a 8 year old! Do the need to check email's etc?

If your going to go ahead with it though, I say buy as cheap as possible. They are as delicate as wet toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I got two of these 2 years ago for my 5 year old and for my 7 year old, they come with a rugged hinged hard plastic cover too. They're a good tool in learning to read count, logic puzzle solving. Netflix & games obviously. Still going strong although the youngest did drop hers without the cover which caused the screen to smash €45 euro to replace. (Snyths had them not sure about anymore though)

They have a kids mode Operating system on them which sits on the andriod OS whereby its just child friendly apps on day one and its pin protected for parents to add what other apps they would like their kids to have access to. you can input the pin and use as a normal tablet too.

Ticks all the boxes for me
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

job seeker wrote: »
    A tablet for an 8 year old? The idea of a 8 year old getting a tablet is just bazaar to me. What good is it to a 8 year old! Do the need to check email's etc?

If your going to go ahead with it though, I say buy as cheap as possible. They are as delicate as wet toilet paper.

Bizarre as it is, we have needs!
    I'm looking for one as well, mainly needed for youtubing 1Direction and Ed Sheerin, and playing little games, or tunes.
    And run a few spread sheets.

Any ideas?
    Dont want to spend a whole lot.
    Are the Amazon Fire yokes any good? Black Friday coming up, want to be ready to pull the trigger...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mcw100

Went for Samsung E tab 8gb €179 in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

job seeker wrote: »

I'm guessing you don't have any children! Yes, they do need to check email, both accounts, school and gmail.

P_Fitz wrote: »
    I'm guessing you don't have any children! Yes, they do need to check email, both accounts, school and gmail.

What a world we live in!

Bizarre as it is, we have needs!
    I'm looking for one as well, mainly needed for youtubing 1Direction and Ed Sheerin, and playing little games, or tunes.
    And run a few spread sheets

Any ideas?
    Dont want to spend a whole lot.
    Are the Amazon Fire yokes any good? Black Friday coming up, want to be ready to pull the trigger...

Ya, I just see how children are so technology advanced now a days. Gone are the days of tip the can etc. Don't get me wrong technology is a very power full tool for children, if used in the right way i.e. education.

Advertisement