Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronda Rousey On Boxing Magzine Cover

Options
  • 16-11-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

As, you all know Ronda is not the champion now and she is an MMA fighter. Placing her on the Ring Cover is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

No it is not right and it should at least be Holly Holm who is a 3 time world Boxing champion.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 WorldChampions

cowzerp wrote: »
    No it is not right and it should at least be Holly Holm who is a 3 time world Boxing champion.

Greatly said holm deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Can we take Honda off EA UFC 2 cover now also !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Trying to understand the logic here. Just because Ronda lost a fight (the first of her MMA career) she no longer deserves a cover page?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Trying to understand the logic here. Just because Ronda lost a fight (the first of her MMA career) she no longer deserves a cover page?

Makes sense. She will get people to buy it. Probably more so now that she lost to a former pro boxer. People will want to read what she had to say before the fight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

People are all to happy to be there to rip someone when they lose. Fcking joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Its up to the magazine who they want on the cover.

They easily could have put Holly Holm a former boxing champion on the cover of a boxing magazine but went with Ronda as they thought they would sell more with her on the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

should never have been on it regardless, was very disrespectful to womens Boxing, Oscar de la hoya who runs it obviously thought he could get her into boxing, and tbh i think that was both there plans, but that is gone now as it's obvious she cannot box, never could either.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

In fairness it was unbelievably disrespectful to women's boxing to have an MMA fighter who's never boxed on the cover. There's loads of very very talented female boxers out there much more deserving but they got overlooked for someone more famous. It's not Rondas fault, that's the magazine showing their true colours, ie. They don't really care about boxing, they want money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

Saipanne wrote: »
    Who cares?

The OP, a few others in this thread, many others we don't know. In fact anybody who wants to care can do so and you can continue not caring, the world is great like that.

The OP, a few others in this thread, many others we don't know. In fact anybody who wants to care can do so and you can continue not caring, the world is great like that.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

Saipanne wrote: »
    Thank you, Captain Obvious.

No problem Corporal Sarcastic. Who apparently cares so little that he took the time to post a stupid question and a pathetic response.

No problem Corporal Sarcastic. Who apparently cares so little that he took the time to post a stupid question and a pathetic response.

crying-face-dawson1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

She never deserved to be on the cover of a boxing magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I don't know any female boxers as I imagine a lot of people don't.

Ronda is far more of a household name.

Big names sell magazines.

Magazine is trying to turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

mdwexford wrote: »
    I don't know any female boxers as I imagine a lot of people don't.

Ronda is far more of a household name.

Big names sell magazines.

Magazine is trying to turn a profit.

I genuinely only know Taylor and Holm and I'd watch a fair bit of combat sports for the past few years, the choice to pick ronda was fairly obvious but it looks stupid now all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I don't understand how it could possibly be right to have Rousey on the cover of a boxing magazine whether she lost at the weekend or not.

I could understand her being on the cover of an MMA magazine or a Judo magazine as she has competed on a world level in those sports. She has never competed in the sport of boxing as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

As I tell kids in English class all the time, the main goal of media outlets is to make money. Full stop. The content they put in or on their publication is done solely because they believe a target audience will pay money for that content.

Ronda Rousey was, and still is, a household name. Her face was selling everything, including fast food burgers. The publishers of The Ring, probably quite rightly, figured her face on the cover won't stop regular customers from buying that edition, and some casual/non-boxing/mma fans will also buy it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with deserved, it has to do with money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

If they put Rousey on the cover with a tag line saying that she is the greatest female boxer ever then that would have been wrong, but they just stuck her photo on the magazine so it would sell.

Anyone harping on now about how it should be Holm should get a grip. 99% of people who know her now know of her through mma. 3 years nobody outside the tiny circle of women's boxing fans knew who she was.

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    As I tell kids in English class all the time, the main goal of media outlets is to make money. Full stop. The content they put in or on their publication is done solely because they believe a target audience will pay money for that content.

Ronda Rousey was, and still is, a household name. Her face was selling everything, including fast food burgers. The publishers of The Ring, probably quite rightly, figured her face on the cover won't stop regular customers from buying that edition, and some casual/non-boxing/mma fans will also buy it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with deserved, it has to do with money

You do risk alienating your regular readers when you pull stunts like this though. And fans of Rousey aren't going to buy any other issues as I assume(maybe a big assumption) that it's primarily about boxing, which they wouldn't have much of an interest in. It's a short term ploy.

You do risk alienating your regular readers when you pull stunts like this though. And fans of Rousey aren't going to buy any other issues as I assume(maybe a big assumption) that it's primarily about boxing, which they wouldn't have much of an interest in. It's a short term ploy.

There are people paid an awful lot more than me to analyse markets, research consumer interest etc. I would imagine that the staff responsible for the Rousey ploy would have all their stats in order.

Decisions like this aren't made on a whim in large corporations

cletus wrote: »
    There are people paid an awful lot more than me to analyse markets, research consumer interest etc. I would imagine that the staff responsible for the Rousey ploy would have all their stats in order.

Decisions like this aren't made on a whim in large corporations

I'm sure they have, I'm talking about consistently putting non boxers as the cover. Ronda is or at least was flavour of the month in terms of combat sports stars so it makes sense they try to cash in on it.

Do they consistently put non boxers on the cover? I have no idea, I've never bought the magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

He labours the point as always but gets it through nonetheless.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJmFuLUxO5g

Advertisement