Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Arena

Options
  • 16-11-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked before and I'm strongly wondering if paying the little extra is worth it for an indoor arena.
    Especially after all the rain we have had lately!

Do you think it is worth it?

I'm trying to come up with a list of livery yards with indoor arenas that do livery in the south Dublin and north Kildare area.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If you can afford it, yes it's worth it! Although I would like an option between both if possible. You just neee to be careful about how they keep the dust down in the indoor. I've been in indoors that are extremely dusty. It's not healthy for you or horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Yep, need to be careful as a lot of the indoors have stabling off them too. I suppose it depends on the surface.

I have been livery in a yard with an indoor before and it was super handy. I had to leave though as it no longer suited my horse at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

Any of the yards i've been at with indoors usually had lessons running in it all the time, so was never much use!. Also surfaces can be dreadful in them, especially the old ones.

paddi22 wrote: »
    Any of the yards i've been at with indoors usually had lessons running in it all the time, so was never much use!. Also surfaces can be dreadful in them, especially the old ones.

yeah I'd have to agree

heard about Knightfield, anyone know much about it? I think its under new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I moved from a yard with an indoor to a yard with just an outdoor, and tbh I don't miss it. There are some nights I can't ride due to high winds or absolute belting down rain, and there are nights where I wonder why I ever went to the yard in the first place it's so cold and horrible! But my horse still gets ridden 4-6 days a week and we still do as much as we always did. The surface in our outdoor is phenomenal - hasn't flooded or even developed puddles once despite all the rain. This makes a massive difference.

However use of indoor was never a priority for me - good turnout and top class care was, as I travel a lot with work.

Because indoors are so hard to come by you'll find the yards that do have them are so busy - I ended up riding in the outdoor or either super late/super early to access the indoor when I had one.

If you have one, you don't know how you'd cope without it - if you don't have one, you just get on with it and adjust :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Kamili wrote: »

heard about Knightfield, anyone know much about it? I think its under new management.

I dont know anything about the management but they have a large indoor and a large outdoor. I cant see space being an issue especially if the weather is fine.

Stables seemed well kept when I was there over a year ago. My daughter had some club lessons there. The indoor wasn't dusty but we weren't there in the summer.

I dont know anything about the management but they have a large indoor and a large outdoor. I cant see space being an issue especially if the weather is fine.

Stables seemed well kept when I was there over a year ago. My daughter had some club lessons there. The indoor wasn't dusty but we weren't there in the summer.

Thanks for the info.
    It has changed hands in the last year, so things might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My old yard had an indoor, it was always packed from about 4pm onwards during the week and busy all day on the weekend. Lots of people would just walk around the track in pairs so trying to do anything faster than a trot was a bit of a hazard. Not everyone follows the rules of the school. :mad:

I'm on my current yard almost 3 years and don't miss the indoor at all. I try to avoid riding in the rain but if I really have to the waterproof stuff comes out and we just get on with it. I wouldn't ride in very heavy rain anyway.

IMO the indoor is a great bonus if you can use it properly but not a necessity.

Advertisement